Fiberfrax and soft firebrick supplier (ABQ or internet)?

Vermiculite board? I've never heard of vermiculite board... Is it some sort of cast refractory w/vermiculite in it? Does it work very well for a forge?

This makes me wonder... has any one here cast their own board? I'd think most people would just use castable to fill whatever forge they have, but maybe you could cast some in a deep cookie pan or something... Maybe add some crushed-up firebrick or vermiculite.

It's just a thought, but maybe you could use the board as a liner over ceramic blanket to keep it from getting eaten up by flux?

Well, it's probably more trouble than it's worth...

Reply to
jpolaski

Charles Spitzer

Howdy! Just three minutes ago i finished casting some "mizzou" "castable refractory".A new floor for my forge and several bricks.This stuff is supposed to be rated at 3000*F.We will see.Im still not convinced the extra trouble is worth any savings,except this stuff is supposed to be very resistant to flux.Anyway,..ill let you know how the bricks turn out,..im secptical that it will cast well as bricks because its so coarse.

People do not know,because people do not do.

Reply to
Hamma Head

I used a lot of that rebuilding my wood stove. I had to replace the top plate (inside) and then re-line the entire box. I didn't have to, but after 16 years the bottom was starting to get thin. Ash shovel...

I got mine at the wood stove store. I would think it would be available to walk-in - on special order. I had to order to match my stove.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Charles Spitzer wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I tried fire clay mixed with perlite. It was a bit too crumbly for me and is still susceptible to flux. Probably need a good coat of clay on the exposed surfaces. Thought about mixing in some cement but havn't got around to trying it.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Iv'e just crawled out of the forge!My first fireing with that cast mizzou-brick lining.It seems to hold up well even when heated hot,..but doesn't reflect heat quiet as well as satanite.I havent tried any welding in it yet,..so can't say how it holds up to flux.It seems soild and strong.