Interested in getting started. Can I use propane for a forge?

That's me! ;) Except I went ahead and studied ASM's Metals Handbook for a couple years. Still studying, now that I think about it. :/

Yeah the C word gets used way to much these days. :/
Even ASM's 18 volume "Metals HandBook" isn't -complete-. ;)

"Tempering" is the old word for "heat treating" like "mild steel" used to be called "iron". A lot of old guys I know still use those terms there is nothing wrong with them.

Never say never. ;)

Yeah, for sure. :/ Like what's wrong with coil springs? Too much trouble to straighten out? :/

I checked out that book many years ago from the library it was fun to read etc but didn't learn much, if anything, about steel from it.

You're getting carried away there, right?

Yeah, the guy didn't do his homework, learning steel, then applying it to what he's doing, basically gave me the impression of one of those old illiterate guys, the way he thinks (and knows) about things.

Depends on where they started. you started with your dad teaching you another guy might start with this book.
After reading the source material (metallurgy books, ASM's Metal Handbook etc) I realized that there is a lot of wrong information out there about steel. Can't remember anything I ever heard about heat treating steel that was right enough to use.

"Unforgivable"? well... "silly" anyway. :)
I use different colored "highlighter" pens and color the edges of the pages in a certain section. ~3/4" long line and write on the edges of the pages with a ball point pen next to the colored spot.
Came up with that basic idea in highschool when I was given a copy of "Handbook of Chemistry" by Lange. 2001 thin pages. ;) The index is huge and was a problem all its own. ;)
Alvin in AZ
There is a lot of information on the web for new knifemakers. I have quite a bit of stuff on my web page to help starting knifemakers. Just look in the "Shop Stuff" area and look around for things that interest you.
www.warnerknives.com
Bob

Where do you live? Coal may be cheaper than you think. I get it for $60 a pickup load and have to drive 1 1/2 hr to get there and it lasts from 3 to 6 months depending on how my wife gets at me, but people outside, or new to the blacksmith community don't know of the availability of coal. Your location may be important. I live on Vancouver Island. Doug