Getting started in metal crafts?

Hi All,

The messages in this group may be a little too "hard core" for what I'm interested in, but I'm hoping someone can offer some advice. After trying many crafts over the years - painting, sewing, quilting, woodworking, etc. - I've finally decided that I'd like to focus on metal crafts. I find myself attracted to anything metallic, whether it be beads, paint, hardware (the older the better), tin ceilings, whatever.

I'd like some advice on getting started (as in a good book, web resources, suppliers, etc.), though my range of initial interest is probably not covered in any one book. I'd like to learn about different types of metal, gauges, the best materials for projects, tools needed, techniques for antiquing metal, and perhaps how to solder. I'm interested in learning about embossing, punching and metal collage. I have searched the Web but the options seem overwhelming. Amazon has over

300 books in the metal crafts category.

Also, DickBlick.com seems to have some reasonable prices on metal sheeting and tooling supplies. Is this a reputable site?

Thanks for any advice, Karen

Reply to
KLS

Take a look at the Ganoskin site

It's mostly jewelry related, but has some technique content and a good links page to other sites that may interest you.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Karen, I suggest you visit your local library and search under the topic of "metalworking". Also find out what metalworking classes are offered in your area at your local technical colleges or community colleges, and look into those. Metalworking is a giant field and you can do art metal in lots of ways, or you can simply make things. A shrink once told me the reason I do metalworking (machine shop stuff) is because my life was so out of control I needed a place where I could do things perfectly (or within .001" anyway). Shows what shrinks know, huh? :-)

Grant

KLS wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

From the tone of your note I sense that you would really enjoy blacksmithing and lost wax molding. I got my start in metals as a kid with a hammer, anvyl and old nails. I got pretty good at making knives from nails and later when I got a forced air forge I started messing with old files and hammering them into incredible shapes. This taught me something about heat treating and annealing, and metal hardnesses and why they were so different.

Later I got into pouring lead into plaster molds. You mght want to avoid the lead thing but there are low temperature metals you can buy by the pound from McMaster (expensive!) that will do just as well. Once you master this art you will want to step up to lost wax (investment casting) because it offers such a wonderful opportunity to make anything into metal by first making a clay or wood model and then duplicating it as many times as you want with the process.

You might consider, for your first too, a $39.95 drill press from Harbor Freight along with a set of drills. Or a Dremell set, or both along with some basic pliers, ball peen hammers, files, brushes and the like.

Wayne

Wayne Lundberg

More expensive than a book, but if you find something intriguing and want a total immersion experience...

It's summer camp for grownups with great food and 24hr studio access.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Go visit this woman's site

. She was a part of this group for a while. Is this what you have in mind for metal crafts? As far as Dick is concerned I don't see much there to suggest he has anything to do with metal working other than some foil and a way to punch holes in it. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Karen -

A mighty book on serious metal coloring - e.g. find in the lib first! - "The Colouring, Bronzing and Patination of Metals" Hughes & Rowe ISBN

0823007626 It is over $50. It is from the Whitney Library of Design publications group.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

DickBlick sells good stuff. I use them all the time. Try some of the book sites advertised here [on your right screen] There's a world of technology, methods and techniques to learn about. Good luck, Bugs

Reply to
Bugs