Sheet Metal Equipment Questions

I have done a little sheet metal work and have really enjoyed it (although I'm still a novice). I have a friend who recently shut down his sign business and sold me some of his sheet metal equipment. It is just perfect for my home shop:

  • Di Acro 24" shear
  • Di Acro 24" brake
  • Di Acro 6" notcher
  • Berkroy 24" rolls

All of the equipment is on stands/casters. I have to clean some of it up a little, etc. , but in general, it's in good shape.

I have a question about the shear. If I plan on primarily working with about

20 gage steel, what spacing should I put between the blades? Also, is there any literature showing how to maintain this equipment, like how to correctly sharpen the blades (angles, etc.), how to properly adjust the equipment, etc.? I have printed the manuals from the DiAcro web site, but the manuals don't have much on tool maintenance and adjustments.

Of course, with all of that equipment, I'm looking for a spot welder. The American brand is Miller, but there are a number of Miller knock-offs coming from China (as sold at Harbor Freight). Is the Miller welder made in America? Is it significantly superior to the China versions? I'm just a home hobbiest, yet I try to support American industry a much as possible. It's just that the price difference between the two welders is about $300 and I haven't personally held the Miller welder.

What is your opinion of the Miller vs. the Chineese spot welders?

I'm just tickled pink with my purchase and look forward to honing my skills. Please reply to my questions and thanks.

Dave

Reply to
David Pidwerbecki

Dave Just a thought, you have that big Lincoln welder, is it possible to use it as a power source for a set of spot welder tongs? I realize that there would have to be some circuitry in between the two but is such a device commercially available or does the spot welder have to be its own machine? lg no neat sig line.

Reply to
larry g

Used American spot welders are cheap enough at auction, private sale or even on ebay. Why bother with Chinese stuff in this case?

Reply to
ATP*

Larry... I don't think that would work. A spot welder uses a much higher current at a much lower voltage.... in the many hundreds of amps range. Enough to heat a 5/8" solid copper bar VERY hot.

P.S. The equipment used to be mine.

Mark

Hi,

Yes, I do realize how lucky I am. The guy I bought the equipment from is the same guy who basically taught me how to use it and let me use it (along with other equipment) at his shop. I have been looking for equipment like this for about 3 years now, and I just feel "lucky as heck" - and appreciative for my buddy Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

Reply to
David Pidwerbecki

Hey Mark,

I do think that you are right, although I saw something on eBay where a person could use a welder as a power supply for a spot welder. I'm not too sure how well it would work. I'm just happy as a pig in mud with the stuff - thanks!

Dave

Reply to
David Pidwerbecki

Mark,

I forgot to ask - in your opinion, is there significant differences between the 220V and the 110V welders? I know that the 220V welders are rated for something like 3/16" and the 110V welders are rated for 1/8", but I'm not too sure how to relate that to real functionality. I believe that your spot welder is 220V and that this has pleanty of power for all of my use thus far. I see the Miller 110V welders on eBay all of the time but rarely the

220V welders.

What do you think?

Dave

Reply to
David Pidwerbecki

Personally, I would not use a 110 volt unit unless it was given to me and I had nothing else to use. The duty cycle will be lower, the capacity is less, and it is hard enough to get good spot welds with a hand held unit to begin with.

Mark

M Don't most spot welders have a capacitor bank that is charged then dumped into the load for the spot weld. It would seem to me that someone would have a control box with caps that would use a standard welder for power to charge the caps. Don't know that to be fact just seems like a workable idea that may be out there. lg

Reply to
larry g

Google DiAcro and you can down load their manuals. Don't touch the shear adjustments and sharpening until you have read the manual.

Chuck P.

Reply to
MOP CAP

As "M" said, the current is much higher and the open-circuit voltage much lower for a spot welder. About an order of magnitude different, so it wouldn't be the same transformer (the secondary winding, in particular would have far fewer turns and would be much heavier).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thank you I have learned something today. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g