American models in UK and Lenz DCC stockist?

Thanks for the previous help on Tortoise motors.
Does any one know any model shops, preferably in the South [1] of the UK
that stock
1. US outline models
just come back from Canada with some more models and although I'm keeping my British outline stock I've decided I like the idea of running sessions with long trains. I'm also not too bothered about being totally accurate prototypically so will run all sorts of combinations of (diesel electric) US / Canadian stock.
I may even run some of the British stock on the layout every so often just for the hell of it! :-)
2. Lenz DCC systems
I am (at last) starting the work for my loft layout. I have decided to bite the bullet and go DCC and, from comments on this site will probably use the Lenz system from the start. Although I'm not ready to buy it yet I'd like to get some advice and if possible see it in action. I'm particularly interested in the plug and sockets used as it will be easier for me to install these as I'm building the baseboards rather than afterwards.
Have Googled for DCC UK but can't find out how to join the 'ring' (can I just lurk there for a while?)
[1] Has anyone had any dealings with Roxley models in Surrey. Their web site doesn't show too much. First impression I get is that the owner(s) are more interested in Post Office stuff with the trains added on, but I'm old enough to realise that first impressions are not always right!
Thanks in advance (again)
--
Mike Hughes
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:44:21 +0100, Mike Hughes

The Engine Shed in Leytonstone has Bachmann US stuff, usually at good prices but not all that accessible from Sussex. I would suggest buying a copy of 'Continental Modeller' then you will have all the relevant ads.

Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

I could stay out late (9 a.m.!) after finishing work ('black' cab driver) so London area is not a problem.
Any one had any dealings with Mid Sussex models in Burgess Hill?
--
Mike Hughes

I don't know what you mean by south exactly but Model Motors in Bourne End Bucks is almost exclusively US trains on the train side. They do cars aswell. They can get anything from Walthers. I have bought all my BLI and Athearn stuff from them.
Kevin
Remember, North America quality can range quite considerably. There are those that will hardly run at all, with single dead cheap motors to those that run like Swiss watches.
Only look at Bachmann Spectrum (NOT plain Bachmann), Atlas, Kato, Athearn both regular and the far more expensive Genesis but steer well clear of their 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 models unless you are confident you can replace the main axle drive gear on your own, and BLI (Broadway Limited) are building themselves a reputation but their models are EXPENSIVE.
Of course, the above list applies only to models made by these companies in the past 15 years or so.
-- Cheers Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / -- Cheers Roger T.

I can personally recommend the Lifelike Proto 2000 and 1000 range. Lifelike used to be very much "toy like" but the 2000 range are superb and run like Swiss watches. 5 pole motors, all wheel drives, twin fly wheels and ready for DCC.
" Les Pickstock" <

Yes Les, of course. How could I have forgotten the LL P2K and P1K range. When it comes to steam, they are the creme de la creme
-- Cheers Roger T.

Now why did I read that as "crewe de la crewe"...?
Perhaps I'm getting too much blood in my steam-stream!
--
Dave,
Frodsham
" Les Pickstock" <

Yes Les, of course. How could I have forgotten the LL P2K and P1K range. When it comes to steam, they are the creme de la creme
-- Cheers Roger T.
Although BLI are expensive but considering what you are getting I don't believe they are that bad. However I wont have anything like as many as Hornby or Bachamann locos. I paid 185 for an analogue Bachmann QJ so compared to that the BLI locos aren't expensive and I still can't belive that the chipped Geneses Challenger with sound was only 225.
Kevin
Although BLI are expensive but considering what you are getting I don't believe they are that bad.
I think the USRA 2-8-2 at around GBP199 is an absolute rip-off. We're talking (with this model) of 1980s Mehano quality both in terms of detail and performance, and the sound is not that clever either.
Tried running one on DCC and I was getting better performance from Hornby locos with Ringfield motors.
John.
John Turner wrote:

The NYC Niagara is superb. My comparison is against a Bachmann QJ at 185 and compare that to the Genesis Challenger at 225. And Hornby via Rivarossi thing they will sell analogue Alleghennies at over 400, now that is expensive.
Kevin

I may be wrong but I suspect the market for the Bachmann QJ is relatively small and that the tooling costs have to be recovered over significantly fewer sales. I'm not defending the QJ though, I can't say it impresses me either.
John.
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:44:21 +0100, Mike Hughes

I suspect it isn't much help, but the Model Zone chain seems to do various US things. Starting at about GBP22 for a Bo-Bo diesel loco and GBP4 for a wagon, I suspect they probably aren't the highest quality finescale end of the market. :-)
They also have more expensive stuff, but I've no idea what it is, what makes etc.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK