Finding British oo (HO) in U. S.

Anyone know of U. S. stores/online merchants who stock British OO (HO) trains? Is there a newsgroup for same? I don't want to get off-topic on this site, since the focus seems to be on American models.

Ace in CT

Reply to
Timothy Ace Holleran
1) You will find 00 modelers on uk.rec.models.rail

2) A hobby shop near me in Mountain View, CA has a small amount of British outline OO stock, but not much. I have gotten all my 00 from Britannia Models --

-- in Surrey, BC. Mail order from Canada is completely painless.

-dave

Reply to
n6nz

There's no such thing. It's either "OO" or "HO", it can't be both, and in this case, it's "OO".

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Why buy in the USa when numerous UK modelshops will sell to you against a credit card at much lower prices, much larger stocks and a much greater depth of knowledge? I've never dealt with a UK shop that hasn't shipped inside 7 days (or informed me of backorder status)

Regards. Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Gregory Procter

It's HO gauge, OO scale! ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Hobbytown in Kennesaw (nr GA) has some Hornby and Bachman as well as a lot of Peco track. However, once you have the VAT (Tax) deducted, it is as cheap to buy from the UK mail order. I use

and
have no complaints. John Turner at 53a is especially helpful, so browse at Hattons and buy from 53a!!!!!!!!!! Rob PS. I have some Locos and Coaches for sale, what you after?

Reply to
Rob

Well, its import/export/vat/exchange-rate issues. From the States, Canada is easy to buy from, although you want to ship via parcel post, not UPS or some such, for various reasons. And for me, my favorite dealer is in the same time zone. UK model ships may be helpful, but it is hard for them to be easier to deal with than a Canadian or USA dealer because of gubmint interference.

When you need to translate between English (Brit) and English (Yank), find a Canuk.

-dave

Reply to
n6nz

"Gregory Procter"

No, it's OO scale on 16.5mm gauge track.

HO isn't a gauge, it's a scale.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I believe that OO is 1:64 where HO is 1:87. Close, but not the same.

Reply to
Charles Callaghan

British OO (HO)

off-topic on

I've come in on this discussion pretty late, so it's quite possible someone may have already pointed you to the British Railway Modellers of North America's website. If not, it's

I don't dabble in British stuff, but it's a pretty informative site, and it lists a few American stores; one in New York, one in Illinois, and one in California. As for newsgroups, I'm sure there's a Yahoo Group for British OO trains.

Garth in Ottawa, ON

Reply to
allergy

Charles,

00 is 1:76.2. the 1:64 scale ratio is S scale.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I don't know where you are in CT, but Flying Scotsman Hobbies of Poughkeepsie NY attend various shows in NY and CT.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

salvé Roger T. skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.isla ndnet.com...

Dear Roger, with reference to 00 its a gauge :) and only within those parameters otherwise its a scale. beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

OO scale is 4mm to the foot, or 1:76. You're thinking of S scale, which is 3/16" to the foot (or 1:64).

To confuse matters further, the Brits have two sets of standards for the correct standard gauge (ie, scaled down 4' 8-1/2" gauge.) US OO scale modellers used a different gauge again.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

It's 00 Gauge 4mm scale - it just happens to run on 16.5mm gauge track.

Gregory Procter wrote:

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton
00 Gauge is scaled at 1:76.2 H0 is 1:87.1 - nowhere near close!! The difference is a vast 12.5 percent.

Charles Callaghan wrote:

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

dear Wolf, Only two ? :D Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

"Beowulf"

Ooooooooooo-k. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

For 4mm scale (1:76.2) there are several sets of standards.

00 Gauge 16.5mm (4' 1.5") track gauge, no defined standards for wheels and track (the old BRMSB standards are long gone and didn't work anyway.)

EM Gauge 18.2mm (4' 6") track gauge, EMGS standards for wheels and track.

P4 (Protofour) 18.83mm (4' 8.5") track gauge, P4 standards.

S4 (Scalefour) 18.83mm (4' 8.5") track gauge, an attempt by one modeller to correct the slight discrepencies in the P4 standards. Not used, as far as I know, by anyone. Confusion occurs by the fact that there is a Scalefour Society, but they use and promote P4 standards, as does the EMGS.

00 (Scale or Gauge?) 19mm (4' 9") track gauge. A peculiarly US standard.

Beowulf wrote:

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

OO is 1:76.2 or 4mm to one foot. S is 1:64.

Reply to
Gregory Procter