UK underground powered coaches in HO??

Greetings from Syracuse, NY.

I am looking for rapid transit MU sets to run on my HO railroad and the supply over here is limited and expensive. I like the Underground trains and wondered if anything like that is offered over there in the UK??

Reply to
Mr Leftie

You're unlikely to find any in HO, its not a common scale in the UK.

You will find some for OO, which runs on the same track as HO, so will be mechanically compatible with your existing HO. The scale of HO is 3.5mm/ft, OO is 4mm/ft.

There is a lot of variation in the shape and size of underground lines in the UK. Glasgow has its own little system, and London has numerous different lines with different sizes of tunnels which dictates the outer shape (loading gauge) of the trains. So, a train on the Metropolitan (just sub-surface) is very different to the Piccadilly (deep tube). Most lines have an "above the surface" element in the outer regions, though there are some where the entire line is below ground (eg: Circle (arguable case), Waterloo & City).

Try this place for models

've never used them myself, so no comment on quality of products or service. I expect there are other sources of items.

This site seems to give a reasonable overview of the London Underground system:

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Reply to
William Pearce

From memory when I lived in Va the people who publish the "catalogue" which is the bible for model railroaders (Walthers?) did a very passable model of the Washington DC Metro trains which, IIRC, was not expensive. Suggest that might be a better bet for you than UK ones.

If you want to go with UK outline models then there is a company -

- that I have plucked via a Google.uk search, no idea what their models are like but the front page of the site looks promising; failing that you might give these guys a call - Pirate Models 7 Horsham Lane, Upchurch, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 7AL Tel +441634 233144 - they principally deal with bus kits but I know that in the past they have done whitemetal cast kits of underground trains.

HTH

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

EFE does several variations of deep tube trains. With a little surgery, they can be powered with Tenshodo 24.5mm WB SPUD trucks.

Trains from Hatton's and other EFE dealers, about £100 per set of four.

Tenshodo powered trucks are available for £23.00 each at

- search for Tenshodo. At least 2 powered trucks required for a 4-car train. Wheels can be replaced with Romford 9mm disc wheels for smoother running.

Metromodels also sells the cars at £27.50 and a DIY motorising kit at £35. For £46 they will supply and install it. Internal and external lighting can also be fitted. Another source for lighting is First Class Trains.

Reply to
MartinS