Drawing layouts

How do people draw their layouts/track plans in that standard way like you see in Model Rail articles? Is there software to do it or just he old fashioned pen and ruler?

TIA

Luke

Reply to
Luke Briner

Hi Luke,

Can't help with the pen and ruler, but for software try these:

(free!)

Make sure you understand the difference between *track design* (for handbuilt track, etc.) and *layout planning* (for baseboards, scenery, etc.).

regards,

Martin.

---------- email: snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web:

Martin Wynne

I think I was considering Layout Planning more than trackwork design. The pictures you get in Model Rail for each of the featured layouts are almost identical in quality, showing signal boxes, track, platforms etc. but only in very basic form.

The reason for asking is that I would like to design my layout on paper before trying to commit to the baseboard just to make sure I can get the baseboard joins free of pointwork and other large structures.

Thanks (That templot looks like the Bees Knees!)

Luke

Reply to
Luke Briner

Drawen by the same art dept

2b or not 2b

Reply to
Trev

On 03/12/2005 11:52, Luke Briner said,

It is, I can assure you!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Luke Briner" wrote in news:4390871e$0$1460$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

There's lots of software ... as others have illustrated but for me it's pen, paper, pencil, compass and rulers etc etc etc

Not that there's a lot there but see the site in my sig for my reasons.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Make a few photocopies of your space, with Armstrong Squares** superimposed, and sketch the mainline to scale of course. Then sketch in the benchwork with a coloured marker. There is no law that says all your baseboards have to be the same aize, although it is handy to have them all narrow enough to go through the door, and short enough to make them easy to handle (6ft may be too long for one person).

When you have good a general arrangement of mainline and station/yard locations, draw your yards and stations individually to a larger scale, and check against the location of the baseboard supporting framework. Move that framework if necessary - there is no law that says the supporting framework has to be spaced exactly the same throughout.

Templot is excellent for laying out and building your own complicated trackwork, but it's not needed for laying out the locations of points relative to the benchwork.

**Armstrong Square: The late John Armstrong, a superb layout designer, started planning by sketching in the mainline on a grid made up of "squares." A square ia large enough for a quarter circle at minimum (or design) radius, plus a parallel outer track, plus clearance. Or:

S = 2*R + 2*C

where S is the side of the square, R is the minimum/design radius, and C is minimum/design clearance for that radius.

I generally go with S = R + 6", which is good enough in most situations, though I will be more exact when layout space is tight.

Why squares? Because a grid of squares helps you locate the limiting curves well enough that you will know which mainline arrangements will work and which won't. It's a reality check, which we all need when planning a layout, unfortunately.

Armstrong also suggested that the design radius should be larger than the minimum workable radius, so that if necessary you could squeeze a tighter curve into the available space.

Aisle space should be a minimum of 30" (75cm) regardless of scale or size of square - and that's just enough aisle for one person.

Warning: layout design can evolve into a hobby within the hobby. I've known people who spent more time planning layouts than building them. Suffered from the same condition myself in the past. :-)

Have fun!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote in news:SOjkf.6337$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Nice idea but I prefer something far simpler. I draw my plans at 1:24 or

1:12 for detailed sections on a grid marked out in to scale 1 foot squares. When it comes to laying out to the track and positioning buildings etc I draw out the same 1 foot squares on my board. Thus when it comes to the actual positioning I can work from square to square without having to keep taking measurements from board edges and the like.

Very, very simple, something artists and designers have done since the age of papyrus but it's quick, accurate and it works.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Beware of Trains Set Builder (Mindscape) they do not respond to emails.

I used the SW to design my layout, but with great difficulty, as their Peco track catalogue is wrong and the curves on points are also suspect and the manual is far from easy to use and is missing out too much in the translation.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett