The return of Micro Layouts

It gives me great pleasure to announce the reopening of my website, "Micro Layouts for Model Railroads" at its new home:

After considerable turmoil, the site has returned. Everything is still there -- the Gallery, with 237 micro track plans; the Small Layout Scrapbook; and all the special articles and links.

As a bonus, the featured layout currently is John Glenn's new version of the Guinness Brewery railway in Dublin, including a drawing and model of their unusual diesel locomotives.

Thanks for all of your kind notes and good wishes during this difficult time. I'm thoroughly delighted to be back with you! I'll be trying to notify as many linking sites as I can find, but please feel free to pass along the new address whenever you encounter a link to the old site.

Carl Arendt Micro Layouts for Model Railroads

Carl Arendt

What a fasinating site, Carl.

Those shoebox layouts are works of art!

Carl Arendt wrote:

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Thanks for the great site. Seems I've gotten obsessed with making things bigger and never even considered microlayouts.

One question. Some of the tracks run off into "cassettes". I'm unfamiliar with this term, but I'm guessing its a plug-in module with your rolling stock. Is that correct?

Thanks

Reply to
CowGoesMoo

Carl=A0Arendt wrote: It gives me great pleasure to announce the reopening of my website, "Micro Layouts for Model Railroads" at its new home: =A0=A0

------------------------------------------------ An outstanding site, Carl. Full of ideas for any modeler. I really like the creative layouts. Shows what can be done in a very small space.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Thanks for the note and congrats on the grand reopening of your very inspirational layout site! ...Bill

Reply to
Corelane

Basically that's right. Cassettes are an "offstage" length of track on a plank, holding a loco and some cars (length is up to you). They plug into a linking track on your layout to bring cars on or off the line, and even to reverse them. You can have a collection of layouts, swapping consists in and out with carefree abandon.

There are lots of wrinkles to making effective cassettes. Iain Rice has a good description in his Kalmbach book, "Small, Smart & Practical Track Plans" (starting on page 15). There's also a mini-tutorial in my book, "Creating Micro Layouts" (on page 33).

HTH!