Pictures of the Layouts at the National Train Show

I put up the pictures I took of the various layouts that were on display at the National Train Show. One thing I didn't do was to identify the club/organization that owned the layout, something I forgot to do.....

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

Very Nice. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Blackwell

Very cool. Many thanks. I just got back from the San Mateo GATS (my first GATS), and I guess if you want to buy other people's junk, it's OK. The N and European layouts were ok OK. I'm going to have to get to a real show some time.

Ed

in article 20040717193554.262$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.com, Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!) at snipped-for-privacy@YOUKNOWHAT.tir.com wrote on 7/17/04 4:35 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

I was there as well. The N layout was alright...if you like derailments. The Euro layout was interesting...except that they ran the trains at about a scale

300 mph!

The other interesting thing I saw was the traction table...that is the first time I have seen the ORR turnout kits up close.

Other than that, there wasn't much there. I spent more time at the RV sale next door.

-John

*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North American*
Reply to
Ditch

On the Euro "high speed" layout: the track had something between the rails which I've not seen before: like a metal piece in the middle of each tie. Is that some power thingy? I no nothing about European model railroading.

Yeah, the N scale was OK, but had lots of operational problems. But when I see layouts of any type, I look for scenery ideas and techniques I've only read about. Nothing new to report.

I was hoping to see some unique or custom stuff for sale. Since the MP36PH locos are used by Caltrain and other railroads with their Bombadier passenger cars. I was hoping maybe someone had done a custom. Nope. As far as I could tell, mostly used junk, and new stuff I can get cheaper at the Train Shop in Santa Clara. I did get a nice denim shirt, though.

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com, Ditch at snipped-for-privacy@aol.compost wrote on 7/17/04 7:18 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

A 3rd rail, but not as obvious as the Lionel thing. The track is Marklin, I believe.

I saw the real one while cruising around after the show. I did see an HO Spectrum F-40 Cal Train for $90. Yikes.

The only thing I found was one dude selling the Athearn Genesis boxcars for around $15-17....but then his tank and hopper cars for $30. Whatever...I just bought a video while I was there.

The only real custom thing I saw was the PCC car #1055 that runs on the Muni F Line in the City. It was nice...I almost bought it but then I rememberd the guy there was the same guy that gave me a dirty look when I told him the pole came off the wire on the Southern CA traction layout thing at the Anaheim show.

-John

*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North American*
Reply to
Ditch

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com, Ditch at snipped-for-privacy@aol.compost wrote on 7/18/04 1:14 PM:

Thanks. That what I thought but they folks there were too busy talking to on another for me to ask.

I saw that one, too. Yikes, indeed. I decided that since there is no MP36, I'm going to build fake engine: an undecorated RTR F59PH: at least it is kind of swoopy looking. The CalTrain decals are cheap enough.

Reply to
Edward A. Oates