Pictures of the INSTALLED Curtis compressor

I installed the curtis compressor today. It is where it is supposed to be, wired the way I intended, etc. The only work to be done is adding an auto drain and properly attaching a pressure regulator that was included in the sale.

I reorganized the album, now there is a new page with installation pictures.

That page explains what I have done, in some detail. There are two new circuits, one for 110v outlets behind the compressor (for auto drain etc), and another is a dedicated 220V circuit for the compressor. Wires for them are enclosed in 3/4" EMT.

The mess in the garage is temporary, it is in fact organized enough to allow two vehicles to be parked. :)

Ignoramus18224

I installed the curtis compressor today. It is where it is supposed to be, wired the way I intended, etc. The only work to be done is adding an auto drain and properly attaching a pressure regulator that was included in the sale.

I reorganized the album, now there is a new page with installation pictures.

That page explains what I have done, in some detail. There are two new circuits, one for 110v outlets behind the compressor (for auto drain etc), and another is a dedicated 220V circuit for the compressor. Wires for them are enclosed in 3/4" EMT.

The mess in the garage is temporary, it is in fact organized enough to allow two vehicles to be parked. :)

Ignoramus18224

Subject: Pictures of the INSTALLED Curtis compressor Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Ignoramus18224

How do you have access to that site?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Looks nice! I would install the belt guard and use some rubber mounting of some type to dampen the vibration. I wouldn't be woried about getting my body parts into it so much as Murphey slipping the odd piece off the wall and sliding into the belts and doing the things that MS Murphey does best :) Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Congrats....it looks like a good install.....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Put on the belt guard. If it was rattling, it wasn't installed corrrectly or it had loosened up after install.

The auto-drain puts out a blast of compressed air for a few seconds. You want to pipe this away and dump it outside. 150 pound air will blast water all over the place if you dump it into a sump. Been there, done that.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

The domain likely belongs to the OP.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Better yet, pipe it into a closed but vented container. You don't want that blast as your wife walks by the line. You can put a drain for the water and have a diffuser so there is not a big blast. In an commercial setting, that vent would go to an oil/water separator before it goes to drain.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's interesting to know. Yes, most likely I will do it, if only for my peace of mind.

What about winter, freezing etc, would putting a line outside make it possible that it would plug up one day?

Ignoramus18224

Edwin, can you give me some detail? Indeed, I do not want those blasts as my wife, or my 3.5 year old, walk by. The kid, especially, hates loud noises. I am thinking of directing them into an empty plastc soda bottle, which I would put inside some box or some such.

Ignoramus18224

Edwin's right here....I got the &%$# scared out of me a few times walking by those things. What we used to do with industrial installations was to use an oil separtor and plump the water to a sewer line. If you have a cleanout nearby (garage??) maybe you can run a line to it. Just drill, tap and put a fitting on it. Without the separator I don't believe it would be a legal install in any locale.....Enjoy your new compressor....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Nice install. Glad to see you put a proper cutoff switch for the compressor. So many home shops ignore such niceities. You can usually buy a safety switch for $15 or so, why not do it right.

And I agree with the other posters, get a belt guard. The 3-1/2 year old will be 8 before you know it. I might also suggest that the quad outlet is REALLY close to the motor pulley. Can you even plug someth> I installed the curtis compressor today. It is where it is supposed to

Reply to
RoyJ

Iggy I set my compressor on a double layer of old carpet padding and it really cut the noise transfer down. I also would think about putting a strain relief on the Bx where it lands on the machine. The full weight of it is pulling at right angle to your pipe nipple and it may in time snap it. Great looking install though. Keep in mind as you connect the piping system to it to use a hose between the compressor and the wall. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

I installed the belt guard and it does not rattle appreciably. I am glad that I did it.

Ignoramus10062

I agree. The switch, sadly, cost me $30, but WTF. I can splurge on nice things.

I did have a belt guard, the seller included it, it just was not installed. As of now, it is installed properly.

Yes, I can plug stuff in. The compressor is movable, I can always move it back. With the belt guard, I can use those outlets without fear of being caught into the pulley. These outlets are reserved exclusively for compressor accessories that need power.

Ignoramus10062

You know, I may try that also.

I am sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about!!! (due to my ignorance of compressors)

Thanks.

Thanks Larry. That is already the case, There is some thingy that looks like water drain piece (seen on the pictures of just bought compressor) that is attached to the wall, and a flexible hose between them. I am not sure if I need an oiler in addition. I will ask it as a separate question.

Thank you.

Ignoramus10062

Ignoramus18224 wrote in news:cvsn5p$t2s$ snipped-for-privacy@pita.alt.net:

Length of 3"x 1/4" wall square tubing. Weld end plates on the tubing. Drill and tap for 4-6 Festo U-1 exhaust mufflers (silencers). Drill and tap one end plate for a ball valve to be used as a drain. Drill and tap the other end to connect your pipe. You can mount it inside without it being excessivly loud, and would be very safe.

Reply to
Anthony

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:49:29 -0600, the inscrutable G. Morgan spake:

How do YOU get access? Click on the door below the funky eyes.

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Think ice bullet.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Thanks. I do not quite understand everything that you said, but I saved your post for future reference.

Ignoramus10062