Re: Greg and DCC

I have just started using MS Outlook Express and clicked the wrong send button. It was an accident and I apologise for that.
Regards, Greg.P.

One of the advantages of DCC is that you don't have electrical blocks in the accepted sense and each loco can be individually controlled, hence coupling two locos together becomes real easy. You can easily add helpers/pilots or pushers/bankers all without the need for extra electrical blocks, You can then run the train with two engineers/drivers each running his/her own locomotive, something that is really difficult to do with manual DC electrical blocks.
-- Cheers
Roger T.
"Paul Newhouse"

I decided on Digitrax as it's the most common system in use in this area and I didn't want to be the odd man out.
-- Cheers
Roger T.

Great system made by a local New Zealander :-)
Regards, Nobody.

It's a definite limitation of block control. However, multiple heading setups are normally done at reasonably specific locations; either in the loco depot or at the station through road where locos normally stop at a specific location.
On my prototype railway/location/date additional locos were added as follows: - a pilot loco would be added to the head of the train. As the train loco always stops at a specific spot, a short switchable section is created between that point and the fouling point at the end of the track. I actually have two switchable sections at each end of the through tracks. - bankers are added at the rear of the train as a block. (ie 1, 2 or 3 locos previously coupled together at the loco depot) The through road is bidirectional so there is already a pair of isolatable sections. Additionally the mid-point of the track is cut so that the possibility of through feeds is minimised. Each pair of isolation sections is feed via switches(relays) from the feed to the half track through road which is switched and the two halves are feed via the main switch. That gives me 6 switchable sections to the track/block, all switchable by a single switch or individually. As they are switched through software and interlocked to turnout and signal the electrical switching is only required for adding locos to the train or deleting sections incorrectly switched out. In normal operation, the train rolls to a halt on the track under the control of the driver, the computer senses zero voltage and turns off the traction current connection to the track section under the loco, other locos can be added as required on the live sections. The signalman then sets the route and signals. The signals switch on the track sections under the loco and the drive moves the throttle. ie normally there is no switching of isolating sections by either driver or signalman.
Regards, Greg.P.

I enjoy the programming and wiring, as one facit of achieving my layout.

I started with Maerklin stud contact/three rail.

I built my first computer in 1978 to operate that particular layout. Admittedly it had less computing power than the average egg timer today but it largely did the job asked of it.

I converted to two rail in 1979 after I bought my first lathe and played with Digital soon after Hornby brought out their Zero-1 system. I moved to DCC (well Lenz) when Maerklin/Arnold brought out their 2 rail Lenz system around 1987 (date from memory). I discarded DCC for my present layout around 1995. I've generally kept up with DCC developments since, particularly as I'm frequently asked to convert or repair locos.

You're going to get yourself excommunicated if you go agreeing with me! ;-)
Regards, Greg.P.

Wolf Kirchmeir skriver:

That in model railway block control is fine, but it definitly has its limitations.
Im running a block controlled model railway with more than 1000 meter of tracks that's divided into approx 200 blocks.
Im know very well the advantaces and disadvantages of block control. If we had to start from scratch today, we chose DCC - definitly.
Klaus
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:00:07 -0700, Bob May wrote:

Consdider his audience. Or should I say "His", since you refer to "Him" with the deifying "He"?
--
Steve

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:43:06 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

You've made a common mistake, Steve. The word president is not capitalized when referring to just any president such as the president of Tulane University. When use to denote the President of the United States of America, it is. The same goes for other pronouns. It's not a grammar rule but it is recommended. -- Ray
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:51:15 +0800, Ray Haddad wrote:

Er, uh, just who recommended that? The Karl Rove Institute of Grammar?
Such deification of a politician is decidedly un-American, but what can you expect from the people whose antecedents brought you HUAC, the blacklist, Joe McCarthy, and the current balls-up in Iraq. Sentiments like that are more suited to some place like, say, Paraguay, or Uzbekistan, or Iran. Folks who really like that sort of slavering fawning over chickenhawk hacks might better move to one of those places - and take Katherine Harris with them, please!
--
Steve

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:08:12 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

When you do that "er, uh" thing it makes you appear to be drooling at your keyboard. Not unsurprisingly, it also makes you appear to be dumber than a box of rocks.
It's common usage, Steve. And you made a common mistake. Deal. -- Ray
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:10:58 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

And that is what I was referring to - the ayatollhic "He"
--
Steve

Thanks for doing your part to ruin this newsgroup! Take your political crap somewhere else. Do you think any one here really cares about your politics?
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:20:52 GMT, Obnoxious Pratt wrote:

. . . about Greg and Newton and other obnoxious antipodeans ranting on about DC vs DCC?
PS - you forgot the "e" in whingeing, you wanker
--
Steve

Well, at least it's "On Topic" (hint, hint).
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:14:06 GMT, Pac Man wrote:

I've gone back and looked at Proctor and Newton's contributions and if THAT is "on topic", well . . .
--
Steve

THAT
My point is this... In the long debate here between Mark and Greg (and many others), if you've read them all, not only have you learned that they don't get along, but you've also learned about German operating practices vs. UK/North American practices, not to mention other parts of the world. So even at it's worst, this thread has proved educational in at least some aspect of model railroading, and is thus "On Topic" for rec.models.railroad. Now compare that to the political pissing matches that some people get into here. What do we learn about model railroading from them? Nothing. We just learn what kind of idiotic lefties or idiotic righties we have here. Big deal. I can go anywhere and get that. But this is rec.models.railroad...where do you see the word "politics" in the group name?

I do try to include something informative or on topic in the majority of my postings =8^)

What has your posting got to do with DCC?