DC really is OK

I Made my own Twin T block detectors and they work perfectly controlling three color signals. Each Yellow aspect is wired into the red aspect of the advance block. The Twin T's control a 4 pole relay that allow other functions to perform automatically like crossing flashers and lights to come on at the station and freight house, ect.

I seldom run trains and mostly do it alone.

Sound was made to come on through the block relays with speakers for each block. This became tacky after a while. Then I got a steam engine that has all the bells and whistles with DC. now that is really great. This puts off the need to go DCC a little longer.

Every one has a short in the track work now and then. That is when all those block switches come in handy for isolating the problem quickly.

I like wiring anyway and the caveman control with "stopping diodes amuses me to see it work.

This system is not better that DCC, but it works for me.

I spend more time with my operating hump yard, loading live coal loads, and animation in the engine service yard like operating round house doors and loading coal into tenders.

Then that part of the hobby of building intense urban scenery has my attention for now.

-- Phil Anderson Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

Reply to
Arizona Rock & Mineral Co.

Imagine how you would like it if the momentum of a train could be _changed_ to reflect a loaded or unloaded train? Or if a train accelerated at one rate, and slowed at another.

You can do that with DCC...

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Bob, you know you can do all that on DCC, right? Heck, you can even change the momentum effects on the fly (Ops Mode programming to CV03-acceleration and CV04-deceleration). And with later QSI sound chips, you even have a braking feature (F7) that allows you to stop the train before momentum does. And of course you can also use the emergency stop just in case.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Good grief... Proctor is so desperate for attention he's now e-mailing replies to newsgroup posts. Kill file him now while you have the chance.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

And to change one of those values take what... replacing capacitors?

Yes.

It can be, depending on how your speed curve is set up. I prefer to simply set up my locomotive so that the percentage indication on the throttle approximates speed in MPH... but momentum can be used with these settings, too.

Red herring. Can YOU change it without hitting a bunch of buttons, or completely rebuilding your throttle? I don't mean a theoretical vaporware throttle, I mean the ones you actually have right now.

With DCC, I simply enter OPS programming mode (one button push), enter the CV I want to change (button push or knob turn) and the value to enter (button push or knob turn), then hit "enter". Done. Takes less time than it did to write this. Acceleration and deceleration can be set independently... and you still have "emergency stop" available.

If you WANT to do that with DCC, you can. Just set your speed table to have eight intervals (by setting several speed table CVs to the same value) and enable momentum. However, since physics doesn't scale, why cripple your locomotive that way. I notice you said you only built ONE throttle that way... obviously, it didn't really give you prototypical operation after all. Something things are better in theory than in actuality.

The Digitrax Zephyr unit has a separate braking lever...not something I find particularly useful or conducive to prototypical operations. Again, you only put that on one throttle, right? Why would anyone want to repeat your mistakes?

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Yep, the load sensing on a DC throttle can easily be set to either keep a constant speed or to accent the changes to speed with a load that a loco normally does anyway.

-- Yeppie, Bush is such an idiot that He usually outwits everybody else. How dumb!

Reply to
Bob May

Depending upon how many variables I want to include in the throttle, it can be easy to change the pot for the inertia resistor. The thing I like about DC throttles is that you have pretty much "normal" loco controls to deal with, i.e. a throttle lever and a brake lever. Throttles are usually based on the TAT series that Linn Westcott designed way back in the '60s. I've also done Op-Amp type output sections just for the fun of it but they are a bit more scary although the new MosFETs make them easy to do - Op-Amps can oscillate if they aren't built right. I've also done pulsewidth type output sections and those are quite robust in their operation.