Norris Yard in service!!!!

!FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE! July 27, 2005
The Far Seas Connecting Railroad proudly announces the grand opening of it's new Norris Yard. The yard is a 7 track hump yard with a half inch drop from
the high point to the bottom of the bowl and a quarter inch rise at the foot. There are no retarders in place just yet, but only two cars have rolled the eight feet and out the other end. So far, there are no outside connections to the yard. The yard switches are controlled by Digitrax DS54's wired to pushbuttons on panels at each end. The hump is at the north end of the yard and the tail track is around the proposed helix, while the other end curves east towards the proposed Lake Port of Michelle's Lee.
The management of the FSC are business men/railfans who purchase used older equipment and repaint them back to original color schemes that they wore as new, independent of its original railroad. (So an ex NYC RS3 might up in Lackawanna colors).
The Far Seas Connecting Railroad, your bridge line from here to there and everywhere else.
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:58:01 -0400, "Frank Rosenbaum"

Yeahbut, does the cafe next to the yard serve outstanding southern food?
Sure!! The cafe/diner is Big Johns "House 'o Haggis". Now owned and operated by Big John's spouse. The building is an art deco style Hamburger with lettuce and tomato on a bun with an attached kitchen and added dining area.

Do you have a web site so we all can see your work?

Frank Rosenbaum wrote:

A working scale hump yard? Very cool. Video! We want video! ;-)

-- Kizhe
More folks should build a hump yard like you did. I did this with a three inch drop but with five tracks twelve feet long.Only a few cars coasting into the first track will make it to the end. The more turnouts the car goes through, the shorter the rolling distance. For this problem, I feel that there should be a means for accelerating them ( angled air tubes) would work best rather than retarders for the long rollers. The short rollers must be physically moved to the end of the tracks and the long rollers stopped by hand to prevent smashing into standing cars.I may never automate the hump yard because it is fun to run it just as it is. Call it a test area as many other factors control the rolling ability of cars like; quality of trucks, maintenance, car weight, lubrication and so forth. When all of these needs are satisfied, then work on automation if you must.
-- Phil Anderson Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

it's
from
DS54's
of
older
as

Have you tried making the end of the yard go uphill? It should be enough to slow down the faster cars. It is easier than working so all cars go the same distance.
Jim Stewart
Yes, there is a 1/8 inch rise at the foot of the yard. Most cars will roll about 2/3ds of the way.
Video will have to wait till after next week. I am going on vacation, and when I get back I am hosting my former club for an op session at my current club and then a cookout at my house. No, sorry, only GVRR and KMRHS members are invited this time. Maybe in '07 if you come to the Detroit convention and head west after it I will have an open houe for it.
As for acceleration, my cars don't need it. I am probably going to put some clear stiff toothbrush bristles between the ties about half way down the yard to slow the fast cars and not affect the slower ones.
Thanks for all the positive feedback.