Getting Started

Hello, I'm sure you get this type question a lot, but I searched for a while and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
I'm a programmer, but know very little of low level hardware and robtics. I want to be able to communicate with servos and motors from my PC and more importantly I would like to be able to progra sometype of device/board that would control the motor and servos. Taking things in baby steps is my self-recommeded method. So my question is where shoud I get started. Should I purchase some some motors and servos and if so any suggestions on where to look. I know C++ and C# so are there any good compliers that would work for something like this or simulate something like this.
I apologize if my questions do not make much sense I really do not know the concept of how these parts work together and are integrated.
Thanks for any advice and some good starting points. Voss.
Budget?
Electronics experience?
There are so many to choose from. I agree with baby steps though.
Is C a requirement? A professional C can get expensive, though I hear good things about the public domain C's that are available.
Do a google search in this group for beginner help, and you will come up with a lot of hits, i'll wager.
Mike

On 2 Dec 2004 20:21:24 -0800, voss snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jvg23) wrote:

If you want to get started by making some servos move as desired, I've got a page below showing how to make a simple servo contol setup. You would need to do some soldering unless you buy some premade stuff. I'm not a programmer, so I rely on batch files and notepad, along with the apache web server providing a contro gui as needed. About as simple as it gets.
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo.htm