New thread (newbie)

Greyangel wrote:

snippage
I picked one up at a shop auction for about half the cost of a new unit. But even a new one isn't That Bad. I get catalogs listing new desktop units for around $600. All things considered, that's quite reasonable for durable tooling. There used to be a local spring fab shop that I bought stock from; they'd thump a blade for a buck, but that was one of those goodbuddy things. When they closed, I got my own out of necessity. High tech where it counts. The oven and the tester give me +/- one point consistency. I think that's 'close enough' for everyday, swords aren't rocket science after all.
Charly

color...
in
time
knew
hazy...
shop
small
they
But
for
tooling.
thump
oven and

enough' for

I think it was you got me looking at heat treating ovens. If you're doing blades for a living then an oven and a hardness tester should be standard shop equipment. I'll muddle along with my one car garage full of basic tools for a while yet. I still got the day job :-)
GA
Greyangel wrote:

Don't feel bad, I worked my ass off for almost a decade to pay off the tooling. And it's still evolving. Now I need a MiG welder and a pipe bender and an english wheel and an edge roller and I need to make fixtures and jigs and... it never ends. Can I interest you in some cable billet?
Charly

Maybe. :) How thin can you go on that stuff?
Alvin in AZ
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

The dieset makes .300 thick, but I can whip up shims to make it thinner. It will probably go down to about .075 before it gets flimsy. It's 1 1/2" 7X19 draw wire from a rig. I figure at least 1080 from the spark. I gots lots, and can make up to 24" long. It squeezes down just under 1 3/4" wide at .300 thick. I usually get $50 a foot, plus $10 a foot per fold, which I think is fair for stock considering the labor in it. If you cut into it and find a bad spot, send it back and I'll send you another, shoot till you win. Tell me what you're after.
Charly

About 1/8" thick... at least 1" wide... at least 4" long.
A blade blank for a Buck 110 or Schrade LB-7. ;)
Only "need" one so far, just to check the stuff out.
The important part is the thickness.
Maybe it's just that I'm not that good but I find it really difficult to get a wide surface flat and parallel and at a certain number-thickness (.125" +.002" or -.001"). The tricky part is to have only +/-.0005" from one portion of the tang-area to another.
Seems to me, it's up to me, to get that kind of accuracy but if the piece is -way off size to start with- it just isn't worth the trouble. BTDT too many times where the piece had to be scrapped and a new one started.
Since I'm whinnin' "it's too difficult" I won't kick you around if you tell me the same thing back, after all you-are working with a hammer. ;) I'm working with files and can't get it right unless it was pretty stinkin close to start with.
Alvin in AZ
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

If you'd like, I can deck it flat on the mill for you. This stuff files like butter when it's annealed. Hardened in water, it'll push up to about a 65Rc, the file skates off. Flat is not a problem here.
Charly
I dont know what kind of "rig" your wirecoms from, but all wire rope used in the marine industry and as far as I know in the logging industry is 1080, and is called plough shear steel, or improved plough shear steel which is an alloy, which I am not sure of. Rope core is also usable as the core just burns out. Doug . I figure at least 1080 from the spark. I

Oil rig, my bad. I live in the remains of the Oil Patch, cable is everywhere. Usually, I find great huge wads of the stuff out in fields. The farmers are usually glad to be rid of it, so I periodically go scrounging with the cutting torch. Whatever it is, ir welds nicely, works easily, hardens right up, and is damn tough. No doubt it's really strong in tensile, think about how much five miles of thickwall 4" pipe weighs, hanging on the string in the hole.
Charly
doug roberts wrote:

Unless specified otherwise for certain applications, it's all simple 10xx series carbon steel.
In the Oil Patch it's most likely Extra Improved Plow Steel or Extra Extra IPS because of the lengths used and the abrasive dirt.
Carbon usually runs from about 80 points in plain Improved to ~95 points in XXIPS. The stuff has tensile strength from 260,000 psi for plain IPS and to 340,000 psi for XXIPS. It's tough alright! :)
Good steel and it makes pretty blades when welded up.
http://www.inventionfactory.com/history/RHAwire/introwr/introwre.html has a pretty good intro on wire rope characteristics.

doing
standard
tooling.
and... it

Thanks Charley, I'm on my second try doing my own forge welded material. The first billet wound up with one nasty cold shut running through it. I'm doing it a bit different this time. Started with a 25 layer stack of 1095, 15N20 and L6 thin stuff. Got it welded and drawn on Sunday. I'm planning to square it and clean it up real good before I cut and reweld a couple more times. I made a couple bad mistakes the first time but I think this one is going to work nicely. I just need to clean and surface the welded faces in between folds. Part of the problem last time was the forge rig that I used while hotter than my usual rig, needs careful monitoring of the fuel mixture. It went lean on the fuel that first time and oxidized the crap out of the steel and I didn't catch on in the excitement of the moment. Fun stuff.
GA

As you've seen in another post you have to be careful agreeing with me... when I back-pedal, I'll back-over you. :/ I'm not used to people agreeing with me. In high school I was a libertarian (but didn't know what to call it back then) and almost my whole family is democrats with many of them being do-gooder-bureaucrats. I've never bothered looking in the rear veiw mirror when I changed my mind. ;)
-The shit hit the fan with a "home invation"!- a about a year ago and one of them do-gooder-bureaucrats is now seeing the light. Too bad that's what it takes huh? :/ Others not -directly effected- or too brain damaged from the home invation to think straight :/ ...are still oblivious and simply think I'm nuts and wrong-headed "as always". :/
Why can't people, as smart as these, learn by others mistakes? :/
Why does it have to happen to them directly for them to see what's going on?
Alvin in AZ (ex-C-Span junky, had to quit, the doctor said it was killing me)

get me

Yeah... my wife thinks so ;-)