Ok now a brass question

Greyangel wrote:

Actually, you do mokume in a press fixture in an oven. Take sheet stock and sheet solder and build a stack of sheets and solder chips placed in a pattern between the layers. Clamp between two plates of steel and heat until you exceed the flow temp for the solder. Bake for an hour, allow to cool... mokume block. You may now hammer patterns into this block or work it with cutter tools to shape. It's essentially an oven braze operation, keep everything CLEAN, there's no such thing as too much flux.
Charly

True Mokume does not use solder. It is a diffusion weld.
I have made it. You heat the pieces between steel clamp plates. When the edges flash you pull it out and beat the hell out of it. The clean part is right on. The sheets have to be extremely clean and flat.
I expect when you are talking precious metals the technique for boding it would reasonably have to be more efficient. The general concept is the same though... I also expect that you would need to carefully consider the relative melting points of the material in question. Seems like you could do well with the idea of clamping your material between plates of stouter stuff for the "heat and beat". I have read of welding the edges of plates of dissimilare metals in pattern welding before the first weld. If a person was having problems with carbonization you should be able to pull this trick off as much as necessary to accomplish your desired layer count. Just clean the surfaces and seal the edges as often as you want to fold it.
GA - When all else fails, use the cheat codes.-
wrote:

the
actually
intrigued by

blade
and
pattern
you
mokume
cutter
everything
There are a few ways to make Mokume gane forge, electric kiln etc. there is a great book out by Steve Midgett "Mokume gane a comprehensive study" which various techniques by different metal smiths. Some good web sites are James Binnions www.mokumegane.com and Steve midgetts www.mokume.com There is also an Australian guy Ian Fergusson who uses the solid state diffusion bonding kiln to do some amazing work. He has also published a book called "Mokume Gane"
Chris
wrote:

stock
cool...