question about steel stock

A friend who was cleaning out his dad's garage found a box of horseshoes way in the back, and knowing that I make knives, he said I could have them.

I'm no farrier, so I have no clue what kind of steel goes into a horseshoe. But I figure maybe I can use them in a laminate blade or something.

What steel is common for horseshoes?

They're abit oxidized, but I can make out the words "Nordic Forge...keg shoes" abit faded on the outside of the box. Any ideas?

Way I see it, they're free. But I'd atleast like to know what grade of steel I'm working with.

Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

Some sort of mild steel is my guess, they want them as soft as they can get them. Even then they are too hard for limestone (calcium and magnesium carbonate) that stuff forms a slippy-powder under a shoed horse. The ones familiar with the stuff, walk funny over it :) ...and I always made a point of not doing anything to change their balance while crossing spatches of the dangged stuff. :)

A shoed horse unfamiliar with limestone will slip and bust its ass. BeenThereSeenThat.

Cross-posted to the blacksmithing newsgroup there's a full-time ferrier over there. ;)

I'll spark test a bunch of them I have. Done that before, but heck, it was about 20 years ago, so I better double check. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj