Reducing steel rod diameter

The hole is 0.41 inch, and can't be altered. I need to have a sliding
fit on a rod, 18 inches in length, for this hole. Closest I can find is
7/16 inch, or 0.4375 inch. 3/8 inch is too small.
Now the puzzle is how to reduce that diameter by methods which only
available tools: a drill press, a hand drill, pedestal grinder, hand
files, abrasive papers.
Obviously, I won't get much accuracy, but that's okay. One idea I had
would be to chuck it into the drill press and push sideways with a file
to the right diameter.
Hope that doesn't make you cringe. If it does, make a suggestion.
Reply to
Ted Bennett
Just a bit over 10mm!!
Bob AZ
Reply to
Bob AZ
How about this:
A .413 diameter (size Z) drill rod 36 inches long. Water hardening steel. Price $5.37 from McMaster Carr.
Page 3533 P/N 88755K68
If that is too large, then you can also get 13/32 (.04063) for the same price.
Now all you need to do is cut it to length.
Also available on O1 for a few more bucks.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
Swing the table aside if necessary, lower or raise the head until you have the proper spacing and make up a simple pointed "center" which attaches to the table or the base of the drill press, spin that sumbitch as fast as you can and using 60 grit Emery cloth...work your way up and down the spinning shaft. Measure for size, use Dykem or magic marker to indicate the highspots, and keep a going. You only have .27 to go..and it will go quicker than you think it will.
Gunner
"There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do." -- Terry Pratchett
Reply to
Gunner
Chuck the rod in the drill and clamp the drill to a table or saw horse. Sandwich the rod in between the file and a piece of wood, preferably with a groove in the wood to guide it, lock the trigger on the drill, and move your file/wood up and down the shaft.
When I was a kid, I honed down a valve stem using a drill and knife sharpening stone.
Reply to
Gary Brady
You might try a hunk of size "Y" drill rod (0.4040").
McMaster Carr can deliver it overnight for about $10, including shipping.
Their part number is: 88695K37
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Oh... sorry...OR 13/32" at 0.4063" for a closer fit. ('bout the same price... cheaper than hours of sanding)
McMaster #
8893K43
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Cringing, drill rod, McMaster-Carr. X - .397 Y - .404 13/32 - .406 Z - .413
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Chuck it in the hand drill and spin it against the grinding wheel, moving back and forth. Your biggest problem will be getting it even. I.e., a consistent diameter. Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt