Sandblasting/painting anvils

Would you say that sandblasting and painting anvils with rustproofing paint, such as cold galvanizing, would increase the value of an anvil?
The anvil in question is a regular Columbian, nothing very collectible.

Sandblasting, if you have the equipment, would be good. Or clean them up with a wire cup brush. Then I'd spray on some LPS and wipe them down well.
That's the look I like best on old iron. Some people like the look of Seymour Cast Blast. They think it looks real shop-like. It makes me think of Al Babin. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

(No Carrier) :)

Yes, it's dangerous. Al's custom Babin-bot may spot it and start running ads on RCM.
The way he paints his machines, the metal under those layers could be an outboard motor and you'd think it was a Logan lathe. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

I agree. I was over at the local sandblaster company - he does more than that but that is the main line trade.
He was doing a massive (to what I tote around) manifold that had high pressure hoses (cut off)... After sandblasting, he discovered a large crack that was hidden under some rust and paint. It was in a funnel or pressure increasing section - mud comes in at x psi and compresses down to a smaller stream at Y psi. This was over pressured at one time. The unit mixes several types of mud and send the result out.
The customer (several hundred miles away) - can you believe it - was alerted and the transport truck took the completed job to be repaired, painted and shipped by airfreight.
The customer had it delivered from a local site. He works days at a MIL site doing what he does - fantastic painter.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 6/24/2010 2:25 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Oh, I forgot the key point: If you were selling me an old anvil and it was freshly painted, I'd assume you were trying to hide some cracks.
--
Ed Huntress

I forgot about it too, but you are right.
Ignoramus11945 wrote:

NOPE. Just brush them down and oil them. Think that cold paint will hold up to HOT steel?
--
Steve W.
(\___/)

I cleaned up, and gave the little baby anvil by Enderes Tool, to my kids. Since I have a 200 lbs anvil, I do not need this 75 lbs anvil and I will sell it. It actually cleaned up very nicely.