swage block?

I got a swage block from Centaur Forge in as-cast condition. The holes are pretty rough, basically just cored holes to be finished. The round holes I can bore on the mill, but the square holes - yuk, I'm going to have to finish these by hand, not having a neat EDM machine or shaper or vertical slotting attachment available. Is there some kind of trick to this job? The block is 4" thick, of course, so handwork with a file is going to be a bit tedious.

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

How about broaching the holes?

Reply to
Walt Springs

A mini-air-belt sander. File mounted on a sawzall.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Good music and files freshly returned from being sharpened at Boggs.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I'd call them up and ask if that's all you get for your money. Maybe that's a bad swage block. Seems to me that after spending all that money you ought to be able to use it as-received. Sounds like more work than I'd want to do.

Pete Stanaitis

Grant Erw> I got a swage block from Centaur Forge in as-cast condition. The

Reply to
Pete & sheri

I decided to try an air file. I got the Florida Pneumatic one from MSC. It's made in Taiwan and looks a little cheesy but basically solid. It uses 4" files which have a 1/4" stroke. I'll post again when I find out how well it works.

GWE