swage block?

I got a swage block from Centaur Forge in as-cast condition. The holes are pretty rough, basically just cored holes to be finished.
The round holes I can bore on the mill, but the square holes - yuk, I'm going to have to finish these by hand, not having a neat EDM machine or shaper or vertical slotting attachment available. Is there some kind of trick to this job? The block is 4" thick, of course, so handwork with a file is going to be a bit tedious.
Grant Erwin
How about broaching the holes?

A mini-air-belt sander. File mounted on a sawzall.

Good music and files freshly returned from being sharpened at Boggs.

I'd call them up and ask if that's all you get for your money. Maybe that's a bad swage block. Seems to me that after spending all that money you ought to be able to use it as-received. Sounds like more work than I'd want to do.
Pete Stanaitis ----------------
Grant Erwin wrote:

I decided to try an air file. I got the Florida Pneumatic one from MSC. It's made in Taiwan and looks a little cheesy but basically solid. It uses 4" files which have a 1/4" stroke. I'll post again when I find out how well it works.
GWE