Tool ID

This may not be the correct place to ask this question but here goes anyway.. I have 3, what appear to be 1/4" socket drives ( 1 Plumb ratchet WF
8, 1 Plumb flex handle WP-7, and 1 Williams flex handle M-42 ). I did find the Williams M-42 and it says that it is a 1/4" drive, but all 3 tools seem to be a bit bigger than 1/4". Could they be Whitworth ? They are of the WW2 era. 1/4" sockets will not fit. I am just interested in finding out a bit more about these tools.

So you are saying you have a number of parts where the "1/4" square drive is larger than 1/4"?
I don't think I have them any more but I once had a complete BA set which were, IIRC, 9/32" square drive. I was even able to buy 9/32-1/4 adaptors by Britool, to fit normal 1/4" sockets on the drives.
Mine too were purchased "war surplus"

Further to my earlier reply, a quick Google finds:
http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/williams-supercompany-p4.html
Well down that page you will find your M42, 9/32 flex drive along with the M310 9/32" drive midgit socket set.
That is some page of tools!
Thanks Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 8/25/2010 5:02 PM, Stuart wrote:

I've been told that sockets used for aircraft maintenance are 5/32 sq drive. I've never seen any though so perhaps you're ahead of me there.
John