Tool ID

This may not be the correct place to ask this question but here goes anyway.. I have 3, what appear to be 1/4" socket drives ( 1 Plumb ratchet WF

8, 1 Plumb flex handle WP-7, and 1 Williams flex handle M-42 ). I did find the Williams M-42 and it says that it is a 1/4" drive, but all 3 tools seem to be a bit bigger than 1/4". Could they be Whitworth ? They are of the WW2 era. 1/4" sockets will not fit. I am just interested in finding out a bit more about these tools.
Reply to
Erwin F.Sawall Jr.

So you are saying you have a number of parts where the "1/4" square drive is larger than 1/4"?

I don't think I have them any more but I once had a complete BA set which were, IIRC, 9/32" square drive. I was even able to buy 9/32-1/4 adaptors by Britool, to fit normal 1/4" sockets on the drives.

Mine too were purchased "war surplus"

Reply to
Stuart

Further to my earlier reply, a quick Google finds:

Well down that page you will find your M42, 9/32 flex drive along with the M310 9/32" drive midgit socket set.

Reply to
Stuart

That is some page of tools!

Thanks Mart> >> They are of the WW2 era. 1/4" sockets will not fit. I am just

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've been told that sockets used for aircraft maintenance are 5/32 sq drive. I've never seen any though so perhaps you're ahead of me there.

John

Reply to
John