Tuyere holes ???

Are 5- 3/16" holes in a tuyere in a farries 16-1/2" forge, with a 100 cfm blower, enough?

Reply to
charles

I don't have a feel for 100cfm but it sounds like a lot, especially to shove through 5 3/16" holes.

The term "air blast" is mostly figurative. Most of the time you need just a little more than a gentle breeze (as felt coming out of the empty tuyere).

Mine has probably 25 1/4" holes in an area 2 1/2" across.

- Carl

Reply to
Carl

No. The more holes the better. Bigger holes would be nice too. Somewhere in my reams of airplane stuff is a three page formula on ducts and airflow having to do with jet engines. It seems to apply here, dealing with duct opening area and volumetric effeciency. Think about getting at least 50% of your duct output area into the hole area, or you're just wasting blower power against a steel wall. Volume is the key, not velocity. Hope this helps...

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard