Water and coke

I've run across stuff that seems to say that water is helpful in the coking process, but it was a little heavy on the particulars of the chemistry and I got lost in it.

Can it be explained in somewhat less technical terms for the layman?

Reply to
Carl West

The coal we were getting was screenings and fines. If you dumped a shovel full on the fire, it would bugger off in all directions from the air blast.

Water kept it stuck together until it coked and fused.

That's as far as I ever looked into it.

Never heard of any chemical reactions, just that it was easier to get a glob of mud to sit where you put it.

If you have a link, though, I'd probably read it until they lost me with long winded explanations....:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Way back when I was much younger we had a forge. I was taught to start it off by loading it up with coal and starting a fire. Once the coal got burning you doused all but the center with water to put the fire out. When the smoke stopped the forge was ready for use. Frankly, when I learned all that I didn't know what was happening, just wanted a fire to forge a knife, but I think now that it was really a method of coking the coal.

I don't even remember who taught me that but it would have been either someone with blacksmith or farrier experience.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (Note:remove underscores from address for reply)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok