Fanuc 18i AI (was) OT Time Warner Cable Slowdown?

[...]

John, do you know off hand the commands to use AI on a Fanuc 18i?

We got the new Fadal, but most of the documentation is in the mail somewhere. The "Fadal" manuals (which are just annotated Fanuc .pdfs) blow, they don't match what is on the machine. The AI is covered only in the RISC/HPCC/NANO section and we don't have those options. The Fanuc Infolink disks were corrupt and we're waiting for new ones from Fanuc. Our dealers service tech spent a week in Chatsworth getting trained on it. Due to a broken leg he had Fadal ship all his notes so he didn't have to carry them to the airport and shit, and they have yet to arrive. Without his notes he doesn't remember the commands.

I gotta' say I like the way the machine feels so far even though I haven't done any 3D in it yet. I would like to get a grasp on the AI before something big and hot is tossed at me though.

I've got some rants comming about the machine too. But I think I'll wait until I'm in a sour mood to post them.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Insert a line above you G43 line. G5.1 Q1 R1-10. The higher the R value the tighter the precision. I did a demo with a graphite block. R1 looked just as nice as R10. R10 took longer to run. On a larger part you might see the differences in finish between R1 and R10. You can tell it is activated by a flashing AICC while the program runs. To cancel at the end of the cycle insert G5.1 Q0.

Reply to
Bill Roberto

Go to the AICC parameter page and turn it on and set the level to 6 or 8 and just leave it on all of the time. Otherwise, you will be turning it on and off all the time and it's a pain in the ass. If you can't find the setting screen, call Chatsworth. You are also going to want to learn to use the G08 command for 2D stuff. G08 is a feed forward gain look ahead tool that will serve you very well on

2D stuff - the corners won't bang in a pocket and the feed rate will change around sharp outside corners to avoid rounding. Use one of the misc. reals in MasterCam to turn it on and off.

I believe the seminar your tech guy went to was for drive tuning. Jon Ren probably taught the class if that's the case and he seemed to know his stuff but they might have had GE Fanuc sent out Paul Webster and he is as sharp as they come. Nice guy to boot.

It's very strange that your CD's are screwed up. They are supposed to check them. I think it's on the assembly check list. Did you get a data server?

Reply to
John R. Carroll

That's exactly what I needed Bill. I believe I have G5.1 Q# or G5 Q# (HPCC is G5 P# I'm sure) jotted down in my notes, but I was unsure about the gain values. Thanks. I'll surely have my post configured for AI long before the proper documentation arrives. :-)

Reply to
Black Dragon

There is screen you can find via the right arrow left softkey left softkey dance. I think the softkey has MEAS on it. The screen has the current resolution on all 3 axis.

Reply to
Bill Roberto

The adress I have for you isn't valid so I'll just ask here. Here is the message.

I've got some training to do. A software dealer and a customer. I'd like to know if you have an intake manifold model around that you wouldn't mind sending. I need the practice and the new dealer needs to learn this stuff on a real part. Something like the Catia file I looked at for you a while back would be perfect.

None of what you send would ever leave my server here in the office.

I'd appreciate it but thanks and Best Regards either way.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Sure thing. This model (middle part of a three piece ultrasonically welded V8 intake) is in good shape though. If you need to mess it up some to make the training more interesting, feel free to do it. ;-) This tool for this part is busier than the other one you saw. Perfect for a rookie...

Black Dragon

Thanks man, I'm getting it now. As for fiddling it to challenge my students - well, you don't think I'd do a dastardly think like that do you????

ROTFLMAO

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I had this weird dream....

And in it, some lil songbird told me that you maybe need to perhaps check your gmail account.

Reply to
PrecisionMechanical

Amongst the 235.248 bazillion spam mails sitting in that account there was one jumping up and down and waving its arms at me...

Reply to
Black Dragon

Not to change the subject--but my hotmail account does get surprisingly little spam...

Reply to
PrecisionMechanicaL

The accounts I use daily are 100% spam free. When/if they get compromised, I delete them and create more. I have exactly zero tolerance for spam these days. And I check that gmail account only often enough to keep it active. (all the spam in it gets archived, that's the least I can do to google for their attempt to destroy the Usenet, eat spam) Or when somebody tells me they sent me something there... thnx for the heads up BTW.

Reply to
Black Dragon

My pleasure.

Reply to