RE: Fanuc Cable

I've a 15m controller that seems not to like the cable I've made using the various diagrams I've found on the web (about 4 different kinds). I've even used the one that is published in the manuals with no success. I know this control did, at one time, accept programs via the RS-232 port but then it was put into storage for a couple of years. Now, I can't seem to get it to accept a program or for that matter, communicate with a PC. I'm using HyperTermial from XP. Before when it communicating, they were using a DOS based program. Computer and cable were "misplaced" somewhere along the line. I thought that if someone had a proven good cable, I could then go on to look at what other problems I might have. Does anyone have one for purchase? Paypal is prefered for payment. R. Wink

Reply to
rwwink

Have you you checked to make sure the correct IO device is set up in parameters ?

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Get in touch I will send you a great program for data transfer and instructions for the cable.

db snipped-for-privacy@debcomachinery.com

Reply to
Dave B

No, I have not. I have a listing of the 5000 series parameter but don't know if they're correct for the machine. The listings I have found are:

5001 1 1 5002 2 2 5003 3 3 5010 5 4 5111 2 2 5112 9 9 > I've even used the one that is published in the manuals with no
Reply to
rwwink

They should not have changed unless someone has changed them IIRC even if the power goes out as pretty sure that series used bubble memory and so has no batteries.

--just saying it's a possibility...

Sorry I don't have a parameter list for that controller as mine are the 3T and 6M series.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I just went through this myself yet again (just today in fact)

--FWIW, apparently, some fanucs won't read unless you key in a program number before pressing the "read" button...

Also, cable diagrams can be confusing these days since most computers now use a 9 pin connector whereas on older ones both ends were db25

Anyways, on the machine end ( 25 pin ) I ended up jumpering 4 and 5 together and also jumpering 6, 8 and 20 together.

On the PC end, no jumpers at all...

Pin 2 goes to 2 and pin 3 goes to 3

_Pin 5 of the 9 pin connecter goes to pin 7 of the 25 pin_

This cable now seems to be working fine for both fanuc 6 as well as Fadal but as usual, your mileage could vary...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

OK; here we go. Fanuc M15a that I still can't get to communicate. Checked port and cable with loop back and both are fine. Built a cable like the one in Fanucs manual; machine DB25 to computer DB9; 2-2, 3-3, 7-5, 4 shorted to 5 machine side, 6,8 and 20 shorted machine side, 7 shorted to 8 computer side, 1,4 and 6 shorted computer side.

parameter 0000 is 00001010 parameter 5000 is 00000000 parameter 5001 is RS232c1 dvcslct 1 parameter 5002 is RS232c2 2 parameter 5003 is RS232c3 0 parameter 5011 is 0 parameter 5001 is rs422 0 parameter 5050-5054 are all 0

parameter 5110 is dvc1 1: dvc type 3 parameter 5111 2: stop bit 1 parameter 5112 1: baud rate 11 parameter 5120 is dvc2 1: dvc type 3 parameter 5121 2: stop bit 1 parameter 5122 1: baud rate 11 parameter 5130 is dvc3 1: dvc type 0 parameter 5131 2: stop bit 0 parameter 5132 1: baud rate 0 parameter 5110 is dvc4 1: dvc type 1 parameter 5111 2: stop bit 2 parameter 5112 1: baud rate 10

parameter 8000 is 00000000 Now according to the manual, I should be able to set the memory protect to "off" and using the soft keys enter "program", "program", "program", right shift, "read", "(prog#)", program number (in this case 7111) and then the "exec" key to start to take the serial comunication in. Move to the computer; start a upload to the controller using ASCII,

9600 baud, 7 bits, Even, 2 stop bits with software flow control on. All by the book, as far as I can teil. However, the control sets at read and never shows input nor does the computer show a valid connection. Could someone please tell what I'm doing wrong or suggest a way to get out of this box I'm in? R. Wink
Reply to
rwwink

Different cables work with different settings. See the Xon/Xoff protocol in your DNC software.

DanP

Reply to
DanP

While I was going through my other cables this morning I one that was internally shorted.....

--the black wire on pin 3 had been leaking to pin #1 due to a chip that was imbedded in the jacket.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

The cable you describe 4-5 6-8-20 will work forget the cable . I use it everyday. I offered you a program that I use everyday and know that works and you didnt want it. I suggest you try it....it works

db

Reply to
Dave B

Reply to
rwwink

Reply to
rwwink
  • rwwink :

What was the problem / resolution? Just curious.

Reply to
Kelly D. Grills

Primarily was just getting the right cable but D Blank of Debco Machinery in La Mirada, Ca. @ www dot debcomachinery dot com sent me manuals and a program that allowed me to do some settings in the comm. R. Wink

Reply to
rwwink