High Quality Casters For Big, Heavy Toolboxes

I've got it figured out. I'll have to drill from the top so that I can install 8 PEM self clinching nuts for the middle fixed casters.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

jon_banquer:

Well Jon if the center wheels are to take a load you may wish to rethink that if you are drilling through sheet metal. May need some reinforcement first or it may result in creating nothing more than a crumple zone.

Jon Banquer wrote previously in this thread:

Which adds stability due to the wider track.

Take an old jeep, raise the center of gravity 20%-30% and reduce track

20%-30%, take a few corners at speed and see what happens. That is pretty much what you are proposing to do with your tool box.*

-- Tom

  • You raised the center of gravity first by adding a center box, then instead of going with a two drawer center box you went with a five drawer. Making it so high you can't even see into the top of the tool box without aid.

Now add to that your reducing the comparable track of a versa carts center wheels by 30%. The result for your toolbox is the same as it is for the Jeep. Not a big deal if your toolbox is stationary but it is a very big deal if you are planning on rolling it around the shop.

Then when you reduce the diameter of the wheels compared to the Versa Cart Wheel Diameter you reduce the size obstacle it can easily roll over. Top heavy tool box being moved around in a shop with a short track and wheelbase that comes to an unexpected screeching halt = KAAAAA-BOOM!

Reply to
brewertr

With the big 10" rubber wheels in the middle of the Versa Cart it's very maneuverable. I wonder what I'd give up with 5" fixed casters instead of the 10" diameter rubber wheels in terms of maneuverability. Seems to me some mathematical formulas might apply here and might possibly be helpful.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

The more I think about this the more I think it really doesn't matter. What makes the Kennedy Versa Cart so maneuverable is that it has 10" wheels in the middle of it and that each 10" wheel can rotate independently of each other. The reason Kennedy probably uses the outside 10" wheels is most likely because they are cheap.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Might want to find someone capable of thinking to do it for you.

Now you're on to something.......

and you just fell off...........

-- Tom

brewertr

On Jun 17, 7:02=A0pm, jon_banquer wrote: ...

[ignoring the kindergarten behavior]

I think that design lowers the center of gravity and improves tipping stability compared to four swivel casters the size of the two fixed wheels. The end casters are smaller but they don't have to take the full weight. On the minus side they don't allow the cart to be parked between others against a wall and the cart tips when one end rolls up on a bump higher than the cart was designed for. Four swivel casters are better if you need to pack equipment together for storage.

The most stable arrangement I've seen is two reject Segway wheels on one end and casters on the other.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It seems to me that the large 10" wheels have a higher center-line than 5" swivel or fixed casters would.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

5" casters raise the load 5" plus the substantial overhead of the swivel bearings etc. With 10" fixed wheels the axle can be right at the base of the cabinet, or a stub axle could let it sit lower. On my hydraulic scissors table the fixed wheel axle is held by inverted hooks on the end of the base. The 6" (8"?) wheels raise the base only an inch or so off the ground. I use a trailer dolly instead of casters to raise and move the other end.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim,

Here is a picture of a Kennedy Versa Cart showing both the 10" wheel and 5" caster. I believe this picture clearly shows that the 5" caster has the lower centerline compared to the 10" wheel on the Kennedy Versa Cart.

Based on this, my conclusion is I will be lowering the center of gravity by removing the 10" wheels and adding 5" casters. They only advantage I see with the 10" wheel is it's probably easier to roll over crap on the floor and that is not something I need to deal with.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I also don't see the extra wheel base width being a factor from preventing tip over. Almost all auto mechanics boxes keep the casters underneath and don't use this ridiculous 10" wheel that sticks out and presents a hazard.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

It's hard to believe anybody "smart" enough to use a computer, could be dumb enough to make that statement.

Reply to
Joe788

we are in the process of retro-fitting some diamond presses. These things are pretty big....the bases weigh 12,000 lbs....6 bases make one press. On the first shipment up to us...for whatever reason they decided not to tie them down. The driver made it 1 mile before one of the 12,000 lb chunk of steel decides to slide off the truck....it is about 5ft in diameter....lands on its side, breaks the shit out of the curb, and puts one hell of a dent in the utility pole. Cost them a few $$$ to fix all that shit.

Reply to
Zymrgy

Wonderful handguns, and I think the .41 is horribly overlooked. I sold my model 29 years ago, couldnt see any reason to keep it, mainly because I never shot it.

I have a 6" 657 and an 8 3/8" barrel. Both with Pachy grips. Had a 2X Nikon on the 657 for a while, but took it off for carry.

I bet that 4" is LOUD.

Yeah, I can get almost 1600 fps out of those with compressed loads of 2400,

*heavy* 2 stage crimp and mag primers. Up here we go over to eastern Oregon where the jackrabbit population explodes every couple years. Highway 395 has sections that are paved with them.

The Speers have the "sledge-a-matic" effect.

Reply to
Scott