I need a long 10-32 tap, suggestions??

I need to tap completely through a 1" piece of 6061 alum. about 200 holes. 10-32NF. Cut or form, either one ,however I would like to use
the flood coolant in the machine not have to stop and apply some other type of coolant. Val-cool vnt-700. Rigid tapping.
Toolpost grinder and relieve the neck on some standard spiral point taps?
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Randy wrote:

Randy, I like the OSG line. Some of their taps are already relieved and would almost make you 1" requirement:
http://www.osgtool.com/catalogtap.asp?ProdNum 05800408
http://www.osgtool.com/catalogtap.asp?ProdNum 13900
Or if your on a budget relieving a standard tap should work just fine. I recently had to tap some #4-40 through holes in aluminum 7/8" plate. Relieved a standard forming tap and did just fine, much to my own amazement.
Best, Steve
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

Randy,
Relieving the neck on a tap should work just find. Like Steve, I prefer the OSG roll taps (their cut taps also work quite well). About a year ago I made some mold inserts with a 6-32 x .75 min. good thread, blind hole in 303SS. Had to grind the neck back a little over 1/4" to get it. Made 1000 pieces, and still have the tap for the next time:-)
Matt
Randy wrote:

Sounds me like a job for a pulley tap. Like this one:
http://www.discount-tools.com/rfn-112sp.cfm
Hope this helps.
KG
Kirk Gordon wrote:

Or, if you need even more length with a reduced shank diameter, this might work even better:
http://www.discount-tools.com/rfn-113sp.cfm
KG

That does it. BTDT.
Sidenote: If a normal tap's thread is too short, it is worth rethinking the construction. YMMV.
Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:03:57 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Mller) wrote:

BTDT = ? It's Monday and it's early.

Not my design.

Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Randy wrote:

Randy: http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=btdt&Find=find&string=exact
Best, Steve
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

I like using a 5c spin jig on the surface grinder for relieving the necks although the toolpost grinder sounds good to if I had one. Spin jig's a quick setup though. Duffy