I need a long 10-32 tap, suggestions??

I need to tap completely through a 1" piece of 6061 alum. about 200 holes. 10-32NF. Cut or form, either one ,however I would like to use the flood coolant in the machine not have to stop and apply some other type of coolant. Val-cool vnt-700. Rigid tapping.

Toolpost grinder and relieve the neck on some standard spiral point taps?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy, I like the OSG line. Some of their taps are already relieved and would almost make you 1" requirement:

Or if your on a budget relieving a standard tap should work just fine. I recently had to tap some #4-40 through holes in aluminum 7/8" plate. Relieved a standard forming tap and did just fine, much to my own amazement.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Randy,

Relieving the neck on a tap should work just find.=20 Like Steve, I prefer the OSG roll taps (their cut taps also work quite well). About a year ago I made some mold inserts with a 6-32 x .75 min. good thread, blind hole in 303SS. Had to grind the neck back a little over 1/4" to get it. Made 1000 pieces, and still have the tap for the next time:-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki

Sounds me like a job for a pulley tap. Like this one:

Hope this helps.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Or, if you need even more length with a reduced shank diameter, this might work even better:

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

That does it. BTDT.

Sidenote: If a normal tap's thread is too short, it is worth rethinking the construction. YMMV.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

BTDT = ? It's Monday and it's early.

Not my design.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy:

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

I like using a 5c spin jig on the surface grinder for relieving the necks although the toolpost grinder sounds good to if I had one. Spin jig's a quick setup though. Duffy

Reply to
Duffy