Machine Crash Videos from PM

To All:

Joe788 started a thread over in PM with some crash videos. I'm copying the ones he posted and other ones posted to that thread here. Best viewed watching close to the monitor with the sound turned up.

Some of them made me say OUCH & jump back from the monitor. That was a good thread Joe. :)

Reply to
BottleBob

The lathe crash was interesting, first time I got to see one in progress. Usually, I just see the aftermath after I hear a loud CLUNK followed by a page for maintenance :(

Wes

Reply to
clutch

BRRR! I watched the probe with my but cheeks clenched. It was like a Deja Vu from couple of years ago. I was afraid of using my probe for few months after that. ($5000) The last video was interesting. Looks like the camera was mounted on the head. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

That one has to be the worst.....if you look close, the sparks are flying from where the toolholder mounts to the spindle. the horizontal spindle probe was painful also

Reply to
Zymrgy

The one where they didn't use a G50 on the lathe facing move, someone could have been seriously hurt. It's the first move in the program and they didn't check it out before they put that big chunk of material in. Hopefully it was the Boss or SOB (son of boss) that did it.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

The second vid with the probe was awesome. Notice how the tombstone rocks backward when it gets to the body of the probe. No way to dry run a probe either it alarms out if there is no touch.

Mal

Reply to
Mal Boswick

They could have used Feed & Rapid override to slow it down (unless disabled in the macro) till they proof the probing code by running in single block, using feed hold to check the "distance to go" screen.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I don't know about all controls, but our macros have feed override disabled during probing. The probe is calibrated for a certain feedrate, I guess. Rapid can be overrode but when it's close to the part we're using the position macro anyway. Be nice if there was a dryrun parameter so it would simulate a touch at the nominal position and run the whole probe routine well above the part.

Mal

Reply to
Mal Boswick

My machine uses M27 for probing and it will stop any time the stylus touches anything. Of course if the probe body hits anything all you can do is cry. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Mal,

There are a lot of variables involved so there is no hard and fast rule in your case.

I will assume in this case I am the setup guy, this is a new, never run before probe routine, where the probe sub-program number is 8000

9000 series and password protected. In this case I would copy the sub-program, comment out the disabling override switch and slowly (maybe even in single block) run the program. If everything works out fine then I would run the original probe sub-program.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr