How NOT to run a CNC turning center.

Anthony gets the credit for finding these two gems. He posted them over on PM. I'd say these are two of the greatest machine related videos I've ever seen:

Oops #1

Oops #2

Make sure you watch it on a computer with speakers, or you'll really be missing out!

Reply to
Joe788

I wasn't aware that jb spoke french!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated®©

Merde!

LOL

Reply to
ff

Joe788 wrote in news:7bac829f-6d07-466b-ade2- snipped-for-privacy@w1g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

He's lucky to be alive. Looks like he forgot to clamp the spindle rpm in G96 mode.

I've seen far worse.

Reply to
D Murphy

Or not enough chuck pressure. At 18 secs in the video, the jaws released and the tool was the only thing holding the part in place. At the end of the cut, the tool rapids up in X and the part knocked the tool off the turret as it fell out of the chuck. He is lucky to be alive. It looked like he was reaching for the button at the last second.

Fred

Reply to
ff

D Murphy wrote in news:Xns9AB719AA86ED4BW12BU20MU38SY@130.133.1.4:

Yup, so have I, far, far worse. First time I've found any videos of crashes though. Most of the time, this type of thing is a first-person experience.

Reply to
Anthony

The chuck didn't "release" so much as it just gave way to the centrifugal forces of that 60+lb chunk of steel spinning at max RPM.

He forgot the G50 line to control the max RPM during CSS mode.

Reply to
Joe788

I respectfully disagree. The part was spinning true until it came loose. Since the part is round, the centrifugal forces were balanced. On the other hand, the chuck jaws are subject to more centrifugal force because they stick out past the OD of the part. The only force holding the chuck jaws on the part comes from the hydraulic drawbar. If the hydraulic pressure on the drawbar had been sufficient, the jaws would not have opened at high rpm.

ff