Manufacturing Orders Rose in April

To All:
    Here are some excerpts from an article in Cutting Tool Engineering:
=====================================================http://tinyurl.com/mr5tdk
Published: May 28, 2009
    In a sign that business investment may be stabilizing, orders for goods like metals, machinery and electronic equipment picked up in April, the government reported on Thursday.
The New York Times     The Commerce Department said orders for durable goods rose 1.9 percent last month, by $3 billion to a total of $161.5 billion. That was a larger increase than expected, but it came after a sharp drop of 2.1 percent in March.
    Excluding military orders, the number of new durable goods orders increased 1 percent.
    By some measures, economists have said, a sharp decline in industrial output and business activity is beginning to level off.
    Construction spending rose modestly in March, and some home builders are beginning to feel a bit more optimistic.
    The absolute worst is over, but what we have now is still quite bad, Ian Shepherdson, chief United States economist at High Frequency Economics, wrote in a research note. Just about the only thing we can say with real confidence is that the headlong plunge in orders after the Lehman bankruptcy is over. =====================================================
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Obama gets on tv wed or thurs and said "The economy is turning around, we have come back from the brink". Friday I get 4 calls from jobs i applied to a month and a half ago. Yesterday, I seen the first help wanted sign in months. Coincidence?

=============================>
Echo's what I posted a few weeks ago when I said the worst is over and Gunner disagreed with what I said. I guess you can't make a living working for low life liars like Tom Brewer or John Carroll or for old manual screw machine shops. No doubt Gunner will still insist he makes $75 an hour even if he can only bill $75 an hour for a few hours per week.
Some shops... those not stupid enough to purchase cheap Chinese Kurt vise knock offs have not been impacted too badly and it has not caused them to change their business model. Others have gone out of business or liquidated quite a bit of their equipment especially shops in the LA area. Still quite a few auctions coming up. Not hard to find the listings for them.
Some shops / machinists used the economic downturn to get better deals on equipment. ;>)
Some companies cut non-needed expenses and continued to invest very heavily in R&D so that they would have an advantage when the economy picked up:
http://gigaom.com/2009/05/28/qualcomm-turns-a-netbook-into-a-smartbook /
Used Haas machines have still not experienced a major loss in value. Fadal's have. Good time to buy a used FADAL.
Quite a few more shops will still go under.... especially shops like Joe788's which have a massive debt load and who are doing production machining for cheap prices and counting on volume.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

==============================>
I know of exactly 1 shop in the ChiTown burbs that has not been effected too bad by the economy. The one I'm at. The Recognized Technology Leader in Ultrasonic Plastic Welding http://www.herrmannultrasonics.com /
Rummer has it they just picked up some nice size orders. They have just released a new welder, the "Hi Q", that will be at the plastic show next month at McCormick.
Thank god I escaped the moldmaking industry! \|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the HOLDZEM king

Echo's what I posted a few weeks ago when I said the worst is over and Gunner disagreed with what I said. I guess you can't make a living working for low life liars like Tom Brewer or John Carroll or for old manual screw machine shops. No doubt Gunner will still insist he makes $75 an hour even if he can only bill $75 an hour for a few hours per week. ******** stop man? What do you think you gain by all these personal attacks? Why would you troll a group related to what you do for a living? That's bizzarre to say the least?
vinny wrote:

Would it be too much to ask to have you put proper quoting back? Tools/Options, Send Tab. Click on Plain text settings. Check the box next to: "Indent the original text with" and make sure the > is in the box there.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

Sure, but that wasn't the problem. But I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Somehow the checkbox reply in the format read from was checked. Happened last week sometime out of the blue. Should be better now...thanks for the heads up.

OE - like IE - now seems to be resetting to "default" whenever any - repeat: any - updating is performed. (Including AV updates...)
vinny wrote:

doh! You're welcome. At least you got it sorted out. Thanks!
Non-standard quoting ranks real high on the list for things that make reading usenet a pain in the ass.... Especially when added to the fact that editing of quoted material seems rare now.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

Hey, this is a *keeper*!
Lots of people have this problem.
Sheeit, Vinny, I thought you knew pyooters? Oh, the coherency issue.... :)
What's with the emails, that have the vertical line along the left side, that make quoting within that lined text so difficult?
--

Mr. PV'd

I used to use a proggy called quotefix. I posted to usenet thru my email and used quotefix to format the email like a usenet post. Ever since I uninstalled it my indents have been whacky. So I just ignored it figuring that was what was going on. Unless you havn't noticed I could care less about spelling, grammer, format, etc... However, I did appreciate the heads up because I was resorting to seperating it manually and was kind of a pain in the ass. I just assumed the stuff was broke and ignored it. And I think ram is right when he said it's resetting from updating antivirus software.
Heads up very much appreciated, I'm way too lazy to do it manually.

html format?

next
That happens when the sender is using html.

How's your arm?

Arm is fine...
Knee could be better but since the surgery at least it's now entirely manageable and with only the occasional need for opioid medication.

Brother Lightfoot wrote:

I sent a reply to KPM. That's you isn't it?
--
John R. Carroll

one which is probably the best one to contact me with as I generally check it fairly often.

Brother Lightfoot wrote:

Wouldn't go through. goofmail bounced my reply as spam, I think.
John R. Carroll

Thats weird cause I did get ( and replied to ) the notice about domain exiration which you had initially sent to the address.

Jon Banquer is having some work done also http://tinyurl.com/le6bkc
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sheesh, You'd think that was far enough. LOL
--
John R. Carroll