Mazak SQT15 Questions...(Anthony and others)

Hi all, I own a small cnc machine shop in Abingdon, VA. I have a Mazak SQT15 which is soon going to need spindle bearings. A crash about 4 years
ago brinelled 'em, and she is slowly getting louder as time goes on. I have replaced bearings before on QT15's, but these are belt drive machines. Actually a pretty easy repair for the belt drive spindles. I guess what I am wondering, is bearing replacement for an integral spindle motor lathe like the SQT possible in my shop? How in the world do you get the rotor off from the spindle shaft? From the Mazak parts manual, it appears that maybe the rotor is not only pressed on the shaft, but possibly locked on with some type of epoxy? I dread the thought of biteing the bullet and sending the spindle off for rebuild. (Big $$ that I don't really have!) How much does Mazak get for an exchange unit? Will Mazak replace the bearings for me? Would a good spindle repair shop be able to replace the bearings on the integral motor? If so, any ballpark prices?? The only other critical task besides replacing the bearings is to rebalance the spindle shaft/rotor/bearing assembly. Is there a need to rebalance? Being the cheapskate that I am, I figure it would be cheaper to buy the bearings myself...even if I let a spindle repair shop do the work. Where would you guys recommend a good bearing supplier? I will probably have more questions later. Thanks in advance!!
Greg CNC Tool Corp.
snipped-for-privacy@naxs.com wrote:

I would NOT, under any circumstances attempt to replace the bearings myself!
Especially on a Lathe, and double especially on a nice one like a Mazak. The majority cost on a spindle job is the cost of the bearings, especially on a lathe spindle, and not the labor. I had Pope Spindle do the bearings on both a VMC and a lathe, and it was one of the smarter decisions I've made. Just wish I had done it earlier, cheapskate that I was.
ca
On 22 Mar 2005 10:36:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@naxs.com wrote:

Mazak is doing a FH-4000 at a customers of mine, exceeds $20,000 <sheesh>
Regards
Daveb
snipped-for-privacy@naxs.com wrote in

I would highly, VERY HIGHLY recommend you NOT attempt to repair the spindle in-house. Mazak has an exchange program for these spindles. Call them. Price, last I knew, was about $13,000 exhange--call and check..my memory isn't great. This is an "as-new" spindle, including motor, and it comes pre-tested and ready to install, new PLG sensor pre-set and all. We changed one first of the week (10 years old). You must remove all the sheet metal over the spindle, including the door. Preserve any shim that you find under the spindle mounts, and mark it's location. The spindle will have to be aligned to the tailstock and to the slide after installation, including shimmed to the correct height, but before you re-install the sheet metal. There is also a run-in procedure you must follow, ask about it.
--
Anthony