Metal Properties

To All:
    For those that haven't seen this, here is a site (Metal Suppliers Online), that gives data on some of the common metals used in
machining/fabricating.
http://www.metalsuppliersonline.com/Research/Property/step1.asp
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Nice, I did not know TI 6al4v could be heat treated? I'm still trying to figer out how to dry grind it.- very light basically touch ups & small radii forms. I have to contact the grind Doc one of these days.
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/CNC_xmas.jpg
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/Santa_checkup.jpg
--
=AA"=98=A8=A8=AF=AF=A8=A8=98"=AA=A4(=AF`*=95.=B8(=AF`*=95.=B8 Gil=A9 =B8.=
=95*=B4=AF)=B8.=95*=B4=AF)=A4=AA"=98=A8=A8=AF=AF=A8=A8=98"=AA
cncmillgil wrote:

Gil:
    Here's a grinding fluid for Titanium:
============================================================= http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3615301.html
    The invention is a novel grinding fluid or coolant which improves the efficiency and economics of grinding titanium metal and titanium metal alloys when using grinding wheels made up of aluminum oxide or aluminum oxide containing abrasives. The grinding fluid is composed of salts of nitrous acid and formic acid dissolved in water thereby providing nitrite and formate ions. The use of the grinding fluid of this invention when grinding titanium and its alloys, in such precision grinding applications as surface grinding results in higher metal removal to wheel wear ratios and also results in more rapid removal of metal by permitting the use of higher infeeds than have been permissible with prior art grinding fluids. =============================================================
    I believe nitrous acid is weak, just hope it doesn't break down to nitric acid, or it probably wouldn't be too healthy for man nor machine, eh.
    The following is a site on grinding titanium.
============================================================= http://www.mwponline.com/Production_Zones/Cleaning_Finishing_Treatment/Grinding_titanium
Effective use of coolants. Water-based soluble oils can be used but, in general, result in poor wheel life. Solutions of vapor-phase rust inhibitors of the nitrite amine type give good results with aluminum oxide wheels.
Correct wheel speeds. A good guide is to use one half to one-third of conventional operating wheel speeds.
Selection of proper wheels. Silicon carbide wheels can be used at 1200 to 1800 surface m/min to give optimum surface finish at minimum wheel wear but the high speeds essential with these wheels produces intense sparking that can cause a fire hazard unless the work is flooded with coolant. However, vitrified bond A60 wheels, hardness J-M have been successfully used at speeds of 450 to 600 surface m/min while removing as much as 1300mm3 of metal per minute. =============================================================
    Hmmm, don't know how you'd easily slow down a surface grinder motor. Maybe use wheels that are worn to a nub. <g> Or go with some variable frequency device.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

    (SNIP)     --Doesn't sound like anything I'd want to be downwind of; NIMBY! :-)
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Currently broke and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : looking for a job...

You don't want to be next to or downstream of *any* manufacturing process, yo. . You'd think paper manufacture would be innocuous, since it's just wood pulp, right? Sheeit, paper is almost as bad as a tannery.
Concrete is a nightmare, despite its all-natural composition. Highly polluting. One partial solution, btw, is to have concrete facilities next to oil/coal facilities, as the flue products neutralize each other, at least acid/base-wise.
Semiconductor/chip mfr is perhaps the worst -- I was told by chemists that this is THE "dirtiest" mfr'g process around, which is just one reason why chips are made overseas.
Which is ironic, given the green theme of photovoltaics. Heh, don't they call them PV's?? Pyooters were sposed to save our trees -- paperless world, donchaknow.... Paper consumption has increased by proly an order of magnitude -- PIO: Print it out..... a copy for everyone....
Pyooters were also sposed to shorten the workweek.... DAT shit went out the window in an effing hurry, along with population control and economic/market regulation. Greenspan got his PhD from.... where??? Mailorder????? Or mebbe it was just too much clarinet playing, not enough reading....
HELLLLLLOOOOWWWWWW MALTHUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pollution will be solved, eventually, albeit Malthusianly -- we're just going to run out of shit to make shit with!
--
EA, who when not being rapaciously and violently gang-PV'd, is being
silently PV'd......