micron level cnc

This is the application I was referring to a few months ago when I asked about the most accurate CNC.

Couldn't really be specific about it then, but now that they're publishing in "Science", the cat's out of the bag, so to speak.

They're not utilizing machining right now to apply the theory, but I'm trying to push them in that direction, simply because I like CNC better than their current method. Only problem is: their current method is faster and more efficient although it only works for select types of materials. They're in a race right now to make the first invisible doodad, but in the future surely CNC could be applied to this type of thing.

The above link is but one of many media articles written about the research papers in the last few days.

Reply to
kurgan

I have suspected as much. There is a lot of activity in micron and sub micron scale patterning on various substrates and embossing drums and not all of it is LCD related, although with 3m's key patents expiring there is a lot of activity in that area. Interesting time to be alive.

Reply to
jeff

What patents are you referring to?

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Reply to
kurgan

Don't know the #s but they apply to embossed patterns for LDC back lighting. To date virtually every back lit LCD has paid royalties to 3M. This summer they expire. They also apply to a lot light modifying films.

Reply to
jeff