MSC: carbide vs. solid carbide? Cheap carbide?

Yup....

If you click on the "square end mill" category, under materials comes up "carbide" and "solid carbide". Weird, eh?

The only real diff I noticed is that, beyond the selection under "carbide" being much smaller, is that more of them are coated.

But the two categories do not appear redundant, so mebbe this is based on mfr's keywords, as well? I'da thought "micro-grain carbide" woulda been its own category, but apparently not.

Also inneresting was that some name brands, like Niagara, had stuff as cheap or cheaper than non-brand names. But no dert-cheap imports, from what I could fid.

Overall, the search feature on the MSC is perty neat, you can narrow your retrievals very quickly, efficiently. Plus, when you call, you don't have to go through those interminable menus.... thank gawd....

I asked recently about the included angle of FH screws, and you can get spotting drills in 82 and 90 deg -- but they were more expensive than the

1/4" carbide ems I ordered!! In the $20 range, but still.....

Hmmmm, had I waited, I mighta ordered from this place:

uncoated carbide, 3-flute, 1/4", $7.50, vs. the $20 from MSC.... Also, their *caribde* spotting drills were just a bit more than MSC's cobalt.... This site is not as high tech/slick/voluminous as MSC, but you get to the bottom line perty quick.

Too late now..... next time.

Reply to
Existential Angst

They're all solid tungsten/tantalum cemented carbide. In other words, they're all solid carbide. Micrograin has smaller grains and is a lot tougher. It may be less wear-resistant, but not necessarily. It's still solid carbide.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

As opposed to liquid carbide....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

It's too bad that term has stuck. I've talked to a lot of people over the years who don't realize that "solid carbide" actually is a sintered material, with tungsten carbide and tantalum carbide particles cemented together with cobalt and/or other metals.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The genesis of the non-solid variety, as far as I know, is that in the beginning, there were cutters made with steel shanks and the cutter was welded on, probably during the sintering process. I know this was true with carbide circuit board drills. I'm sure nobody makes them this way anymore, at least in modest sizes up to a couple inches diameter.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson