Need good NE source for wand-type tool breakage detector

Hi Everyone, How about an on-topic post for a change? I am looking for a supplier of wand type tool breakage detectors, preferably in New England. Doesn't have to be OEM just someone I can turn to easily for support & advice. I am not looking for the laser type because I am detecting just existence vs. non-existence. The tools in question are High Pressure coolant fed drills of diameters ranging from .110 to .136. I'm setting up tool life management, but in the beginning, and in the event of an unforeseen circumstance, I am not anxious to destroy the subsequent tools in the cycle as they try to make it through the busted-off HPC drill stuck in the part. Suggestions? Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

plh wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

I can't remember the name of the units we use right off. I'll try and remember to look tomorrow and get you some info. These are the whisker type.

Reply to
Anthony

Those are relatively small drills for ACM but may be worth looking into just the same.

Proactive ACM vs. Reactive tool break detector.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Stop buying your endmills from New England and you wont need a broken cutter detector.

Reply to
vinny

That's dandy but reactive is what I want. Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

Try reading the post first, then you will be able to provide an intelligent answer.

-plh

Reply to
plh

Thanx, Anthony, whisker type is what I am looking for, I will keep an eye out for your post.

-plh

Reply to
plh

plh wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Lousy web site but a pretty good bunch of folks.

Omron used to make them as well, but I can't find them on their web site.

Reply to
D Murphy

I know you're looking for a whisker type, but it may be worth looking into the Renishaw TRS2. It's just a single laser beam. It doesn't measure tools, it only detects whether or not they are there. It's not in the work area, and it's reasonably priced. I've seen them function in real life a few times. It's a very neat little setup.

Joe788

I wasn't going for intelligent. Just breaking the ice.

Reply to
vinny

Possible PA source - John M. Rowe, Inc. - 717-949-6597

Not sure what brands they carry, but my main contact there is Tim Rowe.

Tell him Joe from AutoDrill sent ya for most excellent service I say in my best Bill/Ted impersonation.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Here are some that we've used in the past -

Balluff also makes some low cost thru-beam systems, that may or may not be applicable depending on presence of coolant at the time of the check.

Reply to
paul

plh wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Here you go..... *very* reliable units, replaceable wands.

Anthony

Bipolar Bear

"Bipolar Bear" wrote in news:gl96qa$2eeh$ snipped-for-privacy@alt.net:

That wasn't it, but fairly cool none-the-less.

Reply to
D Murphy