Octagonal AL bar stock?

Anyone know of a source for aluminum bar in an octagonal cross section? 5/16 or 9mm across flats, prefer 6061 to insure anodize color match with a related part. I'm guessing this is not available, haven't found anything via Google, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I'd be interested in what you may find. I was musing over exactly the same stuff, also in brass.

You might call Hadco, 800 2210344, a big Al house in Queens, NY, or Yarde Metals.

With any kind of quantity, you could get this extruded very reasonably, but it would indeed be a lot of linear feet.

If your lengths aren't too long, four fast swipes with an endmill on square stock in a 4th axis or suitable lathe would do you. The right lathe might could give pretty long lengths, as well, and fast, too.

Reply to
DrollTroll

If you order two square bars it will give you 8 sides. :)

John

An extruding facility would be able to make octogon bar but if you dont need a large quantity, the price would be costly.

Order a square bar and cut four more flate in it if all else fails. Aluminum cuts nice.

Reply to
john

Even if an extruder had it as a stock shape, every extruder I've talked to has minimums that would yield probably 2 centuries worth of parts.

I was trying to do it all in the lathe from net shape material, looks like that won't happen, but you done give me an idea there, I can just chamfer mill short lengths of square stock in the mill, then do the turning. It's a low volume high value part, and worth the time.

Thanks!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Jon--if I recall your someplace near me in perhaps down in Portland ?

If so may be easy enough to run some round bar through one of our old Citizen F12 so as to either make up some octagonal blanks or perhaps even finish the part complete.

Reply to
over a barrel

Tried to reply privately as I'd like to talk to you about this as well as another project. Removed the 'COLD' and it still bounced.

Email me at jon at billettough dot com, I'll resend.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

It's done.

Also, the email addy attached to this particular post should work if you use "reply to sender"...

Otherwise just phone 360-673-1255 ~9~5 ( often later ) pacific--ask for Sam....

Reply to
precisionNmachinisT