OT: GM/Chrysler alert

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_37/b4099060491065.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5
You're oversimplifying this situation, George. Those Ford Fiestas you're talking about are diesels. Diesel cars don't sell in the numbers required to build a plant in the US. If the price of diesel comes down, there may be a market. But only a fool would roll the dice on diesel cars right now, if their entire future depended on the outcome.
There are many problems involved, not the least of which is unstable credit markets that are keeping Ford out of the market for funds to build new plants, as well as to do enough research. What they're asking for is loans.
The US car manufacturers are facing a heap of troubles. But the new CEO, Alan Mulally, probably is the best thing to happen to the company in 50 years. It's too early to tell whether they'll make it but I doubt if you or anyone else could come up with better management right now.
-- Ed Huntress
F. George McDuffee wrote:

No guts, no glory.... Dang, this car alone could save Ford, especially if GM/Chrysler end up closing their doors. Detroit needs to hire some of Washington DC's political spin meisters to help overcome the aversion to diesel here.
Jon
That is odd there are engine plants up north. I see them in my foundry magazine. They might make them cheaper...
When I worked at GM one summer after school, the strike on the rail car threatened to shut down a large plant. GM air freighted engines and transmissions for several weeks. They trucked in the sheet metal and frames...
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
F. George McDuffee wrote:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_37/b4099060491065.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_37/b4099060491065.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5
and meet U.S. emission standards