Ping Jim, Crosslide: cat-40

Heh,
Jim's bushing fix was literally about 5 mins -- altho the next drilled hole in sed bushing really ought to be radial.... LOL!!
The nose of the cat-40 is .683, the id of the bushing .713, 1/8 wall, the .030 play seems ok 8-32 set screw for 3/16 tools. We'll see if I have to bore out a bushing for a tighter fit -- doesn't seem like this will be necessary, but I'll have to test an em.....
Now, I can go back to non-production of my non-products.... goodgawd....
--
EA

Now, check the runout of that tool holder.... On an actual tool Clamped in the tool holder....
Should be just a few tenths. At most.....

Now, check the runout of that tool holder.... On an actual tool Clamped in the tool holder....
Should be just a few tenths. At most..... ======================================Meeee???? Check runout???? Do you know who yer talkin to???? Mr. Press-Start-and-Pray..... LOL!!!!
--
EA

    Hmm ... normally the set screws for 30 taper and 40 taper endmill holders is flat bottomed, with a 45-degree bevel on the end carefully tailored to the dimensions of the Weldon flats, so it pulls the end mill a little deeper or shoves it a little farther out, so it always sticks out the same distance (neglecting the effects of resharpening, at least. :-)
    Anyway -- normal setscrews are typically cup point (which does no real good on the hardened metal of the endmill shank) and do not adjust the extension of the endmill as they tighten.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Pretty sure I've never seen a 3/16 end mill shank that has a weldon flat.