Ping Jim Wilkins: Audio filter

Yo Jim -- and anyone else who may be interested.
I spend an hour last night tracking down some noises in my furnace blower,
using my usual piece of aquarium hose stuck in my ear <g>, and I wondered i f there might be a market for an advanced kind of mechanic's stethoscope -- something that ought to be a piece of cake for someone like you.
Maybe something like this is on the market. If so, forget it. If not, consi der this:
I had two noises, from different sources, and the interference between them made it all but impossible to find the origins of the noises. One was some mechanical interference between the centrifugal fan and its housing, at on e end of the armature shaft; the other was vibration resulting from stickin ess in the centrifugal throw-out switch (a fail-safe switch that prevents t he gas valve from opening), at the other end of the shaft. I finally took t he whole thing apart and found both problems, but it wasn't easy to find th em when the motor wasn't running.
So, I wondered about the idea of making a small, cheap, battery-powered amp lifier, with a mike and a headphone jack, that contained a couple of active , adjustable audio filters, one high-pass and another low-pass. Made a notc hing filter or bandpass filter to make it slick.
I don't play with engines much these days, but I can recall times when such a device would have made quick work of tracking down engine noises.
There it is. If you make it and sell it, the idea is yours. Watch out for p atents.
--
Ed Huntress

[...]

====================

Long screwdrivers seem to get used more often than my stethoscope.
--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There definitely are electronic stethoscopes on the market. You can buy them at auto parts stores. They have some sort of vibration mike on the end of a long rod, so you can poke the rod down into the works where engine accessory bearings are.
Jon
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 3:13:24 PM UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:

er,

ed

pe

end

Yeah, I've seen those, but I thought the active filters would make them a l ot more useful in something noisy, like an IC engine. I made some audio fil ters for use in ham radio a couple of decades ago, and they were great when I was playing with direct-conversion receivers, which let a lot of noise t hrough.
--
Ed Huntress
KC2NZT

Yeah, I've seen those, but I thought the active filters would make them a lot more useful in something noisy, like an IC engine. I made some audio filters for use in ham radio a couple of decades ago, and they were great when I was playing with direct-conversion receivers, which let a lot of noise through.
--
Ed Huntress
KC2NZT
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 4:01:09 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Er...ah...well, yeah, I guess. Then you have to teach users how to read the displays. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 13:42:24 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Look what $150 can buy - for the medical field -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent-Electronic-Stethoscope-/172577642484
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 13:42:24 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

and what is availble for "medical" use for under $100
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Stethoscope-Multi-functions-SPO2-ECG-Pulse-rate-waveform-USB-/272613605152

Users already have to learn how to interpret the sounds. This could show if the sound is related to the speed of the crankshaft, or of the camshaft, alternator, etc.
The upper and lower filters could isolate individual sounds which they both see and hear. Without the display they don't know what the filters are doing. -jsw
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 16:02:53 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Cardiologists stethophones have had ambient noise reduction for a few years already. It makes hearing heart noises a lot easier. They are digital devices with DSP circuitry.
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 08:51:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They have been on the market for decades.. Steelman Engine-ear and Chassis-Ear, along with 8-Mile-Lake and SKF TMST3 are pretty common in the industry. The Chassis-Ear has several remote sensors you can install in multiple places and switch between them on the run.
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 5:30:08 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

r, using my usual piece of aquarium hose stuck in my ear <g>, and I wondere d if there might be a market for an advanced kind of mechanic's stethoscope -- something that ought to be a piece of cake for someone like you.

nsider this:

hem made it all but impossible to find the origins of the noises. One was s ome mechanical interference between the centrifugal fan and its housing, at one end of the armature shaft; the other was vibration resulting from stic kiness in the centrifugal throw-out switch (a fail-safe switch that prevent s the gas valve from opening), at the other end of the shaft. I finally too k the whole thing apart and found both problems, but it wasn't easy to find them when the motor wasn't running.

amplifier, with a mike and a headphone jack, that contained a couple of act ive, adjustable audio filters, one high-pass and another low-pass. Made a n otching filter or bandpass filter to make it slick.

uch a device would have made quick work of tracking down engine noises.

r patents.

Too little, too late, once again. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

Too little, too late, once again. <g> Ed Huntress
====================Don't feel bad, I was the assistant to brilliant engineers working at the leading edge yet I never invented anything commercially valuable. All my contributions were kick-yourself-for-missing-it simple. -jsw
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 6:43:25 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

For my part, I always invent things that have been in use for 30 or more ye ars. <g>
My uncle had the knack, but he never patented anything. He did get Ocean Ci ty Reels (now a part of Penn Reels) to pay him a bunch of money for his sta r-drag fishing reel, back in the 1920s. I still have the duplicate; he made two of them, all silver-brazed from Monel. I should upload a photo of it s ome time.
--
Ed Huntress

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 6:43:25 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
For my part, I always invent things that have been in use for 30 or more years. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

========================
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 9:19:10 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Wow. Unless it was a life-saving antibiotic, at least the patent has run out. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

Vaccination is that old, but fortunately we don't suffer the other medical procedures of that era.
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 22:23:38 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

True.
But we all still wish the doctors weren't so barbaric nowadays. I can't wait for the medical community to discover and conquer PAIN.
--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 11:19:37 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

Pfizer has a patent on it. The doctors won't be able to touch it for at least 28 years, at which time Pfizer will come up with a metabolite of pain and patent it for another 28.
(Old medical editors' joke...)
--
Ed Huntress