Looking to Tweak A Calculation

Customers are always asking me to estimate the cycle time on my automated drilling machines.

I've come up with a little e-mail tool I send them to guestimate the cycle time and would love the group to tweak it a bit.

I tell them to figure out the cycle time, follow these steps:

***

A drill needs to travel at least 130% of it's diameter plus the thickness of the part to puncture through... So a 1/2" plate with a 1/2" drill would be categorized as having a 0.650" "DEPTH" below.

DEPTH divided by FEED = ROTATIONS. ROTATIONS divided by RPM = MINUTES. MINUTES multiplied by 60 = SECONDS it takes for the process.

Add in stroke up to product time Add in stroke back to home time Add in clamp and unclamp time Add in any human factors, etc. Add in time for potentially dull tooling, etc. Add in time for less than adequate machine thrust, etc.

We use the following charts to estimate these numbers:

Your tooling supplier may provide different speed and feed rates. If so, we suggest using conservative versions of those numbers in the calculation above.

***

Thoughts? Tweaks? Various condescending political thoughts? ...Well, maybe not that last one, but given the group's content lately, I figured I'd ask.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Politics:

Man, did we get f'd ita when we lost the Public Option, eh? Karen Ignagni pulled Obamer's pants down in a back room, and broom-sticked him... according to Frontline's "Obamer's deal".... Ahm movin out of the country as soon as I can....

OK, politics over, now fer yer charts....

DUDE!!!!!

Who're you sellin to, Rocket Scientists?? Howz inybody gonna calculate alladat shit???

Since you already got real nice charts (nice site, dude!!! Must be costin some $$, eh??), you might as well spend a li'l more and make an interactive excel page or some dialogue-box-type calculator, and let them just plug in the numbers. Sorta like fitness calculators, or BMI calculators, etc.

Forget about inches per revolution and alladat. Just let them plug in drill diam/type, material type and thickness, and obvious geometries, and let yer spreadsheet calculate the rest. For "thrust", I would ballpark some crank handle length (torque)/gear ratio/operator "initiative", and peg some standard value to a drill diameter. Or just assume an "ipm" for a drill type/diam, in typical usage, in a given material.

You could include goodies like drill point angle, drill type (regular, parabolic, etc) as an additional factor in yer internal calculation. Emphasis on "internal calculation" .

Dude, you should get to my Yonkas hovel before 2012, you know, before Armageddon and the end of the Erf.... Bring me some chinese gerlz.... I mean, food....

I may be trekking out to Century Tube, a nice stainless tubing mfr in Somerville, NJ one of these days -- izzat near you? It's so lonely here in Yonkas -- everyone here is (apparently) brain damaged by the water, and the gerlz have absolutely no class -- not that I require much..... But, on a positive note, the drugs are cheap.... :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

CLIP

Actually, yes at times. :)

Excellent idea. That way I can send them a *LINK* instead of all that mumbo jumbo!!! Nice...

They lie to me all the time and tell me I'm out of shape. I choose this shape and thus I'm in shape.

CLIP

I have a hard time finding spare time for dinner out here in NJ these days. It's crazy busy with all that is going on... But some day, I REALLY want to get out there.

About 10-15 minutes maximum. STOP BY!

CLIP

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

The Best part is, two hours later, and you want to do it all over again....

Reply to
Cross-Slide

The Best part is, two hours later, and you want to do it all over again.... ================================

Heh, mebbe 20 years ago. Now, a two week refractory period..... Oh, honey, I got a headache..... my neck hurts....

Reply to
Existential Angst

Round is Good!! I recently re-discovered Al Hirt, playing the Green Hornet Theme..

was known as the Round Mound of Sound.... y'all should really listen to that youtube, mad-crazy trumpet virtuosity. And, typical of our cultural de-evolution, iiuc, the Green Hornet movie does NOT use the original green hornet theme by Al.... not even an homage..... goodgawd.....

Definitely.... I'll give you a heads up.

Btw, if you do that calculator idea, you could make it pretty comprehensive, and just supply nominal/default values for stuff users might not know, or "descriptive alternatives". Or, provide a "simple calc" and a "complex calc" option.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Too bad that clip did not show Al Hirt.

Here's one with a cute chick on sax.

Metal content....what's the tolerance on those valves?

Reply to
Randy333

Holy shit, forget the girl, this guy has a set of chops!!! A virtuoso in his own right..... great pyrotechnics.

From what I saw, a lot of female band members.

Not seriously arranged, from my first listen, but still a very credible enjoyable performance all the way around.

Like, uh, ZERO! I took apart a coronet once, holy shit, like glass on glass..... Hadda been hand lapped or sumpn....

Reply to
Existential Angst