SE sycnchrous has been shipped.

Notification and key code etc. arrived Friday pm. They ship 1-3 day fedx so I should have it by Tuesday latest.

*** On other fronts, searching Youtube.com for "IOUSA"... as in . I.O.U...United states, is a preview of a film by the same title just out from the Sundance Film festival.

a must see imo. I am posting this here because CAD people, especially designers or engineering trained CAD people will be among the relative few in private enterprise who will still be able to afford an occasional starbucks as this economy melts down, especially since a very high percentage of this work can be done from home or even 100% by telecommute to a national if not international market.

Those with famlies, or people wishing to be in the best financial shape no matter what will get a side line going as well.

Last year I ran some ads in a local chamber of commerce directory... on my sebatical from my current engineering project (stalled because it needs a new roof and structural debug)... I got 1,000 dollars worth of low end trade work... not so bad. I didnt particularly need it now, but in a worse economy it would be a life saver...even 500 dollars a week would be a life saver.

Along those lines I was thinking that since the new chamber of commerce book comes out in 6 months ....now would be the time to pay for a bigger ad... a big ad as everyone else is tapped out with no work would be perfect timing.

** My experience with advertising... 45 years worth, many different states, and nationally.

Yellow pages doesn't work for the small guy, at all... you need a quarter page to make even a small dent... thats thousands of dollars a month. Chamber of commerce ads in a small population work very well...these are affordable... cold calling also works but its labor intensive.

Craigs list and ebay work well also. Newspaper ads don't work, trade journals not much better. Even a front page banner (1" at the bottom in color failed for me in one attempt , not a single call.. distribution over 100,000.).

Recruiters and the job market generally have been a gross dissapointment... exceptions being those who will work way below market and a few in very rarified qualifications market...maybe 1%. You are dealing with a meat market run by people with no clue about the business or life in many cases.. they make bad decisions... 4 interviews and rave reviews for instance then a decision to hire someone else because they have 'lived in the area an extra year'... utter insanity.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

"Notification and key code etc. arrived Friday pm. They ship 1-3 day fedx so I should have it by Tuesday latest."

Any idea when they plan to announce Solid Edge with S/T is released on their website like they did for NX 6 with S/T and NX 6 CAM Express?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Jb's new demo is here!

Made me think of Steve Martin in The Jerk,

The new phone book is here, the new phone book is here! My name is in type now, I AM Somebody now!

one question remains, when the demo key expires what jihad will be next?

Reply to
Michael

I'd rather see Siemens actively start an aggressive trade-in program for SolidWorks, Pro-E, Inventor, etc. for say $1000 than get it for free, Phil. I make really good money and I like to spend it.

Maybe you're thinking of Matt Lombard who wants Solid Edge with S/T for free and keeps begging anyone at Siemens who will post to his worthless blog to give it to him for free.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

No, that was a post from a real SE user copy and pasted by Jon.

Reply to
brewertr

[...]

Probably a majority of people in the high end trades, and CNC machine work qualifies, make more than most engineers or designers..not all but most.. My trades work earns more than i get offered by corporations to do engineering work.. a high rate these days is $50/ hr or engineering.. usually a whole lot less, if you can even get it....Electrical work in most parts of the country goes for 75 to 95 dollars an hour, industrial controls (includes some cnc, but I dont do cnc) goes for 95 dollars an hour at the low end to $150 dollars an hour or more free lance... divide by 3 to get the wage slave rate... even that is on a par with or beats engineering rates these days.

This has driven the cream of our engineering crop out of the business... one suffers not just from the low pay but in having to deal with morons all day, especially in management... a fate worse than death for some of us.

=2E

Myself, id take free any day... they made me pay though.

Phil scott.

Reply to
phil scott

Not me. I like to reward those who put the effort into making changes and who offer something that I feel is important to a cause I support. On Friday I was offered a discount on a toolpath surfacing CD I just ordered for Mastercam. I turned it down. I want the author of this video to do many more videos. I figure the more money he makes the better chance I have of getting videos done on subjects I want to see videos done on.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Really? Is that why you have cracked copies of Surfcam and Mastercam? How many other cracked copies of software do you have?

Reply to
Joe788

Not me. I like to reward those who put the effort into making changes and who offer something that I feel is important to a cause I support. On Friday I was offered a discount on a toolpath surfacing CD I just ordered for Mastercam. I turned it down. I want the author of this video to do many more videos. I figure the more money he makes the better chance I have of getting videos done on subjects I want to see videos done on.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

I somehow doubt that they would take one of your demo (or pirated) versions in on trade.

gk

Reply to
gk

Now I understand why there is a star in the east when you are speaking. What a guy!

gk

Reply to
gk

I would wager that most people find Matt's blog informative (and accurate) an yours just the opposite.

gk

Reply to
gk

yes... it is good to see you guys finally beginning to recognise talent when you see it.

Reply to
phil scott