Subplates again....

Awl --
Specific Q:
Would a plate full of 1/2-13 holes AND t-slots be redundant?
I would like to go all-holes, but I do see some instances where a t-slot
comes in handy, like when mounting a tailstock for the 4th axis, where you just want shit "a little tighter". Also, you gotta hope that all the mounting holes for vises et al can accommodate 1" increments.
Opinions?
--
EA

I haven't followed this thread, but have you milled T-slots before? If not, ask.
--
Ed Huntress

what type of steel are you planning for this subplate ? at one place (t&d shop) we used to re use ground set up plates- then my supervisor started to come down on me because the cmm was showing deviations- but I wasn't doing anything wrong and everything was tight- after a little while it was determined the set up plate (4140 or mild steel typically) was the cause- it was warping and twisting under the torrsional pressure while machining ( tool steel, d2 a2 )

Holes fill with chips and are a pain in the ass to clean out etc, so suggest dont put any more holes in than is absolutely needed--instead, decide on a basic pattern for the sub plate and then modify /fab your FIXTURES to match .
And for the 4th unit ( as well as for vises ) you really don't tee slots--instead, mill a shallow slot for to recieve the keys and then drill /tap a pair of holes to use for hold downs.