Thread milling

Well, I did my first job with thread milling. Pretty cool. The programms provided for me by the thread mill supplier wre totally
useless. They were in absolute with a hole center of 0,0.
I found a cycle on forum for BobCad V21 for an internal thread mill and used that. Worked perfect. For the external ones I just did a straiight move in tangent to th thread went around and moved out tangent. I had a friend helping me who did progamming years ago and that method worked for him, so I used it. You cannot see any entrance/exit mark in the threads.
I fiqure as soon as I get time I will edit the cycles and make one for the external theread and have the cycle put tool size right in the progam as a comment line. Seems like a good thing to keep track of as I don't think all thread mills for a thread pitch are all execatly the same size. Are they?
Remove 333 to reply
Vargus has a free thread mill programme, works in G91, gives you a selection of controllers and is efficient. I use it in preference to the SurfCam one, I just call it as a sub. I have used it to mill threads as small as 2-56 x 0.100 deep . Thread milling is the only way to go for shallow blind threads

My threads were big. 1-1/4" NPS external, 1-7/8-18 external and 1-3/4-16 internal.
Finding the NPS thread mill was not easy.
Lakeshore Carbide added it to their production list on Monday, I got sent one of the very first ones to be make, shipped Wednsday. got it Thursday of last week.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:49:36 -0800 (PST), Just Me

Remove 333 to reply
Vargus is great, free app and you don't have to use their tools to get the code in G91.
I like using G66 for threadmilling, neat code.
DanP