ThreadPal 2.0 Released (yes, this is an advertisement)

Today I released ThreadPal 2.0. It adds some important features and is even easier to use than the previous version.

Features include:

  • Detailed Data for Thirty-Nine Thread Types * Calculations for Special Diameters and Pitches * Measurement Over Wire (MOW) Calculations for Alternate Wire Sizes * Enhanced Handling of Metric Fits and Tolerances * Multiple-Start Calculations * Coating Calculations * Length of Engagement Calculations * Lead Angle Calculations * Percent Thread Calculations * Interactive Tap Drill Chart for Cut and Form Taps * Informative Popups * Inch or Metric Display * Detailed Report for Viewing or Printing * Illustrated User Guide * Free Email and Telephone Support

Typing is required only when you need to enter the major diameter and pitch of a new thread, or edit an existing input. There's never any "starting from scratch" just to change one value.

ThreadPal takes the mystery out of interpreting and calculating metric fits and tolerances. The next time you run into something like an "M27 x

1-5h6h", a couple of mouse clicks will give you detailed manufacturing information.

Enter the maximum and minimum coating buildup you expect and ThreadPal will calculate your pre-coat machining diameters. Plating tolerances can have a surprising impact on machining tolerances. You can also factor in modified post-coat dimensions for special cases.

Calculations are based on data and formulas taken from national and international standards, military specifications, and industry-standard references. Everything is carefully checked and documented.

More information can be found at

You can download a ten-day trial at

Michael Rainey

Looks real useful if you cut a lot of threads.

But I'm still waiting for someone to make threads obsolete. (everytime I say that I get yelled with crap like "nothing can ever replace threads". ok. But seriously, a thread need only make a connection 1 atom deep to hold with the force of a planet. or... design away screws, using tapers and angles. I don't know how, but I do know threads are usually a secondary op. Whereas using tapers and angles to hold things in place is not, because it's usually the outside of the part, you were going to machine it anyway.

Screws are also prone to unscrewing in vibration. They can strip out due to idiot assemby, and they trap dirt and stuff in them if not covered.

To replace the screw would be the next great invention this Earth is looking for.

Imagine, no more buying allen wrenches every year, no more tap extractors, no more smelly tap magic in your hair when machining. No more broken studs on your engine block.

Reply to
vinny

No threads.

Man, you trying to put me out of business?

Reply to
Michael Rainey

lol, I was waiting for you to reply that. I swear toolmakers are the only folks in the world who constantly try to make themselves obsolete.

Reply to
vinny

Hah, you assume EVERYBODY has hair!!!!! lol.

Threads are fun!! hair was constant trouble!!

"D"

Reply to
reidmachine

Is there an upgrade policy for registered ThreadPal 1 users?

Reply to
Mike Henry

Yes, I'm working on the details right now - you'll get an email by the end of the day.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Rainey

Thanks - got it last night.