Tools you have on yourself?

Just curious, What tools do you carry on yourself when at work? In your apron / shop coat pockets so you don't have to make constant
trips back & forth to your box / roll around. Maybe some people never leave to far from their bench or their box is next to their machine & some dont wear aprons. I wear a shop coat & work in a larger area not always moving my roll around to where I'm at. Here's mine: (I'm weird toolmaker of course)
top coat pkt: Mechanical lead pencils 1 black & 1 red, pen, scriber/ magent 6"starret scale mm on one side .02" other side
left coat pkt: 1" mic (old beater),calculator - casio scientific, post- it pad
right coat pkt: small fold key sets 1 metric 1 inch, 3/8sqr. med inda stone, small crescent wrench
left back pants pkt: 6" digital vernier.
too many people waste so much time walking around all day looking for shit its unreal.
not me, I'm ready to work, but then again I'm a geek.
PS thank you all for your interest in HOLDZEM I have had alot of hits on my e-bay listing.
Gil the HOLDZEM king - contrary to popular belief <now listening to Smokin Joe Kubek "where I want to be" -live>
snipped-for-privacy@cin.net wrote:

Milgil:
    In the top "pocket" of my shop apron is a mechanical pencil, scribe/magnet combo, a needle file, and a 6" scale 10ths and 50 ths (I HATE fractional scales).     In my left side pocket is a beater 1" mic - digital but not electronic digital, mechanical digital - and a rag.     In my right side pocket is a folding allen wrench set - inch sizes, a blue paint marker, a red paint marker, a black Magic Marker, and a rag.
    I don't know how you can keep calipers in your rear pocket without sitting down and bending them.
    Also, I've rarely heard the term "roll around", "it's always roll away", must be a regional thing (I'm in So. Calif.). Being the curious sort I just checked Google: I get 1,680 hits for "roll away tool chest" I get 1,530 hits for "roll around tool box" I get 1,430 hits for "roll away tool box" I get 553 hits for "roll around tool chest"
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Opps, forgot two things. In the top pocket I carried a pencil thin Rout-a-burr. And in the right side pocket I carried a large handled Rout-a-burr with various blade types inside.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Ya the calipers in the back pkt are a trick. I don't sit much- its just me & my work history. Some shops frown when sitting at a Bridgeport. Ive seen guys sit hand surface grinding! I'm 5'11 so I dont have to bend over to far at the Bridgeport like taller guys, they pull up a stool when doing fine cutting The only time I can remember siting in the old days of the cross slide turntable - Advance are very nice but Tryoke's were more popular- When I go to the cafeteria for lunch I forget I have the caliper in my back pocket so it gets layed on the table & people ask" why'd you bring that here? " I have allot of smart ass answers for that I keep to myself. I've head both roll around & roll away but here in Chi-town its mainly roll around. I hired a so called moldmaker back in the early 90's he rolled his tool box from wherever? down the street & in the shop. The bottom of his box was rusted out. He said he was from California (no offense) & the salt water ate it up? Needless to say he only lasted a few weeks before we figured out the job I gave him he f-cked up. It was busy I needed qualified moldmakers that could actually read piece part prints- (article drawings) add shrinkage & lead the job working from basic mold layout drawings. Hell the good contract moldmakers back then were pulling down close to 100k a year! Sorry to say most of them were drunks & gamblers - not bad guys but they pissed their money away because they had so much & worked so hard. Gil the HOLDZEM king - contrary to popular belief <now watching it snow! what the hell? it almost April>
You're a walking tool box...
I don't carry a lot of tools,but I populated the shop to critical mass with:
Digital calipers Calculators Sharpies Scratch pads and mechanical pencils Shop rags Buckets of clean water to rinse off parts, hands etc.
I keep a pocket knife on me with a D2 blade which gets a lot of box opening, part deburring and scribing type stuff.

Oh ya forgot sharpie & pocket knife (thin small German one) & somtimes 3 sided scraper or routa burr + scale is replaced yearly $5.00 wow- from being used as coffee sturr-scraper, touch off for drills/mills/ lathe bit centering tool ,.017shim, box cutter, screwdrivrer & getting cought in cutting tools trying to "feel" the surface finish.
Just wondering why 0.017" shim. Jerry
wrote:

[...]
just a mobile phone now..............but I used to carry
A ZEUS engineers ref book, a 150mm rule (not a ruler) and a flat needle file. All other items were always on the table where I was working at that time.
[...]
I work at nights, so I have every tool I could ever need all around me. Most people in Florida don't lock their boxes, in fact the only ones who do come from new england... Good news most of them don't have much for tools anyway. But they always seem to have lots of magic markers and pens.
why?wtf?
I dont carry anything, but,,,,,
5 Machines, every one has the following at the machine/bench: 6" scale Calculator 1 set of 1-2-3 blocks (we set tools at 6" from the table on the mills) 1 set of bondhus "L" wrenches 2 hose clamps (for putting on vise hex to keep me from unlocking vise when there is a fixture in it) grrrr :) 1 6" Dial Caliper
All of this stuff is cheap compared to the cost of running around looking for it, even with a 2000 sq. ft shop
"D"
Good Idea about the hose clamp. I hide the vise handle in my toolbox . Jerry

Jerry wrote:

Jerry:
    I'm also of the "hide the vise" persuasion. But I often set a stop on the fixture so if it does accidentally removed I can put the fixture right back with minimal loss of time.
    Maybe a person could put one of Milgil's Holdzem's on the vise hex to remind someone not to use the handle.     Hey, a new use for your Holdzem to put on your list Gil, eh? LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

How do you hide a vise Bob? A D680 is probably large enough to be noticed - well, there is the Chinese knockoff<G> Are they invisible?

? "so if it does accidentally removed " Max?
LOL I'm going to send you a pic of 2000 miles through bug territory as an aside. Nobody washes a rented car and I can't wait to see the jaws drop on this return.
BTW, Chrysler, based on this experience, ought not produce vehicles.
JC
John R. Carroll wrote:

John:
    Opps, sorry. I meant to say "hide the vise HANDLE". I should proof read my posts more diligently after getting up from a nap. LOL

    "...so if it does accidentally GET removed". Damn, I'm not going to respond anymore until I'm up for at least an HOUR after a nappy-poo.

    I bet there are some serious bug juice on rented cars in Florida during "Love Bug" season.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Just funnin' ya' Bob.

The drive up and back from San Fransisco was like drilling a hole. Enterprise has been bombarding me with their "weekend special" ads and at 3 days for $78.00, I took them up on it. Chrysler's top of the line full sized cars are real junk, BTW. I wouldn't put a dime into keeping that brand alive if it were up to me. My 'Vettes get equally good mileage on the freeway and the newest of those is 19 YO.
JC
John R. Carroll wrote:

John, Just think how great Chrysler will be after a proposed merger with Fiat? LOL
The icing on the cake is we the people will be backing GM and Chrysler warranties. Now there's a boondoggle in the making.
"The administration will attempt to ease workers' concerns by appointing a director of auto recovery, and will back the warranties of GM and Chrysler vehicles in an attempt to keep shoppers coming. But for people who rely on the automakers, there will be little to soothe their worries when Obama launches his plan this morning."
I know what keeps me coming and it's NOT pay for car warranties
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

No kidding. It could have been worse though. Imagine selling Chrysler to Peugot<G>

You know what's really irritating is that the Canadian govt. hasn't gotten into the act. Chrysler is, after all, a Canadian company. That and Cerberus, a private equity ivestment firm, doesn't think enough of their own companies aquisition to put up some of the 30 bn they have in cash too get things turned around. I guess they have made up their minds about Chrysler's chances.
JC

Whoops. I guess I spoke to soon, although I don't see this as anything more than a holding effort whiule the US tax payer engages in the heavy lifting.
"In announcing an immediate loan of 250 million Canadian dollars, or $201 million, to Chrysler Canada on Monday, Tony Clement, the minister of industry for Canada, suggested that the company was on the verge of insolvency." "Very clearly if the money had not been flowed today, they would not have been able to make payroll," Mr. Clement told a news conference in Ottawa. "That was the stark choice we were faced with."
The governments of Canada and Ontario, which have been consulting with the Obama administration, more or less echoed the president's remarks, setting similar timetables and conditions for further government assistance to the two automakers.
While the two Canadian governments first offered assistance in December, Monday's loan to Chrysler was the first time that either Chrysler or G.M. had accepted help in Canada. Mr. Clement said that Chrysler's Canadian operation would be given a total of 1 billion Canadian dollars in bridge financing by the end of April.
The two automakers have asked for $10 billion in assistance from Canada. Currently, the governments are offering 4 billion Canadian dollars, or $3.2 billion.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/business/global/31canauto.html?hpw
JC
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:22:57 -0700, "John R. Carroll"

<snip>
===========It appears that the US government has again managed to put the taxpayer's on every side of the side of the automotive problem to absorb the losses.
Union/salary pensions -- indirectly through higher PBGC costs for the solvent pension plans, and directly through the taxpayer guarantees of the PBGC. Pensions capped at less than what the companies would have paid under the contracts. Employees lose much of their contributions from lower wages in the past years.
Retiree medical -- directly shifted to Medicare and the taxpayer. retirees lose much of what they paid for years ago.
Unsecured creditors -- many of these are major banks, but with much of that debt covered by CDS insurance. The little people with their savings invested will take it in the shorts, and many will need public assistance for example college tuition for their kids. Note that many of the major unsecured creditors with CDS bought the loans at a big discount, so have no incentive to help GM avoid b/k. Indeed, a GM b/k is to their advantage as they get 100 cents on the dollar.
CDS default insurance, much of it written by AIG, and AIG now underwritten by the taxpayers.
Suppliers/vendors will fall like flies when the standard 90 and 120 days same as cash terms become 180 and 270 days less 50%. The taxpayer impact here will be through SBA and local economic development agency problems, particularly with the 2nd and third tier suppliers.
It should be expected that when the books of both Chrysler and GM are finely blasted open by a b/k filing, and audited, much additional debt and questionable accounting will be revealed. A favorite ploy for the private investment firms is to get a huge loan against assets of the new companies they acquire, and then pay themselves a "special dividend" from the loan proceeds, while the company is on the hook for the loan. Better than a "bust out scam" because this is legal.
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:55:21 -0700, "John R. Carroll"
<snip>

<snip> ===========At least Peugot knows when to make a change, and the French government did not have to make it for them. although --- ----- <snip> He also ran afoul of President Nicolas Sarkozy of France. The government extended a lifeline of 3 billion each to Peugeot and to its rival Renault, on Feb. 9. But Mr. Streiff said just two days later that he would cut 3,000 positions in France. He was also criticized by government officials for importing Peugeot cars made in the Czech Republic. <snip> --------- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/business/global/31iht-peugeot.html?ref=business
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/03/30/ap6230890.html http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123844551047370885.html http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123845289776171311.html http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jD4aF8EYeXxioCAjeqI4r3LCmdkA