World's Flakiest Set-ups

To All:
    Just curious about some of the flakiest set-up you've seen (or heaven forbid - done yourself), whether successful or not.
Comments:
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

22 foot long obround hollow plastic (ABS IIRC) extrusions roughly 12" dia. Had to machine ends round for about 8" from ends. Easy job for a CNC HBM. Did it in a *Bridgeport* with a right angle attachment and home made out side boring tool that sort of resembled a big assed fly cutter. HSS tool bit in a slot clamped with set screws and adjusted with an indicator and something to tap on the tool with. That was over 20 years ago. No way in hell I'd do it again, not near as brave as I used to be.
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

Her kisses left something to be desired -- the rest of her.

I like to keep my really stupid moments to myself.
Wes

Work the oil patch in Alaska.
Brazed lathe tools with a chip of carbide the size of a couple grains of rice (been ground so many times there is simply nothing left).
End mills that no sane person would try to force through a material of any kind.
Kearny and Trecker horizontals and Bullard VTL's that were wore out 40 years ago.
We wont even go into the lathes.

Flaky setups are done as the norm in most automotive machine shops doing performance work.
When machining a performance V8 engine block most will not use a commercially available fixture to make sure the decks are perfectly aligned at 45-degree angles to the crankshaft.
For the cylinder bores in a performance block they will not use a commercially available fixture that will accurately locate the cylinder bores over the correct crankshaft centerline. "The fixture references the rear main surface or rear main thrust surface (depending on block configuration) as a zero datum for front to rear positioning of the fixture on the deck surface. In addition, it spaces the bores at the correct center-to-center distance from one another."
When doing a performance valve seat job they will not use a torque plate on the cylinder head.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

As if you have ANY clue what "most" engine machine shops are doing. You've been working in this arena for what, 5 weeks now? 2 months?
Before we got our VMC we had a 60" diameter mold to make that required a number of features(2.5 x 36 x .375 slots, anumber of circular o ring grooves) that required a dab of creative set ups.
One of the machines is an ancient HBM with a table that travels 5 ft in X and 3 feet in Y. We set a rotary table on the HBM table and set the mold on the rotary able. Then we dragged the Kondia mill across the shop, lowered the table to match the height of the HBM ways and used a couple of I beams to clamp the two machines together. Then we spun the ram and head to the rear of the Kondia so that was over the mold on the HBM table. Ran the table of the HBM back and forth to mill the slots and position the locations for the o ring grooves, which were cut with a Criterian boring head.
Required rotating the mold 3 times at 90 degrees to get all the features in.
Sent the mold off, they ran it, sent it back because the slots were on the wrong side of the part. There fault!!! Fixed that. Sent it to them, they ran it, sent it back to us. 4 o ring grooves in the wrong place. There fault again!!! Fixed it. Been making parts for 17 years, now.
We made more money off of correcting their errors than building it in the first place.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

alphonso wrote:

Alphonso:
    I just love this sort of example of machine synergy. And the comments by others, at least the constructive/creative ones. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Here's some pics of a setup gone bad.
1. Don't clamp plastic on top of a vise and cut it for all it's worth.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/DSCF0015.jpg
2. At least the tool holder stayed inside.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/DSCF0013.jpg
3. Here's how it looks inside after repairs.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/forearm.jpg
4. How it looks outside after repairs.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/DSCF0027.jpg
Don't try this at home. Don't try this at work. Don't try it anywhere.
And when that little voice inside whispers in your ear...............
Later,
Charlie
Charlie Gary wrote:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/DSCF0015.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/DSCF0013.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/forearm.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/DSCF0027.jpg
Charlie:
    It's been like what, 2 1/2 to 3 years now since the accident? How is the long term healing process going? Will it ever be 100%?     Your accident creeps me out more than that guy that got his head turned to mush in the lathe, since he was a total stranger. You're a long time regular and friend, so the impact is obviously more intense.     You'd be surprised at how often I've made changes to some of my setups as a result of remembering your accident pics and explanation.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Bob, It will be three years in May. Funny you should ask how it is. Last Friday I went back for surgery number eight. One of my titanium bars broke in half back in December. So many messed up nerves it took me over a week to finally figure out I was running around with a broken arm. Couple more weeks and I go back to get unwrapped and debriefed on how much dead person bone was used to fill my gaps. It's 100% in my dreams. Does that count? ;-) My biggest sore spot right now is this winter has been one of the best ever for powder snow in the mountains here, and my snowboard's collecting dust in my garage. At least I'll be back in action come motorcycle season.
Later,
Charlie

HOLY FUCK!!!!!!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/bad%20idea/DSCF001 3.jpg
That looks like plexi IMO any reputable MBT should be using lexan for guarding.

They were told. Then they told THEIR vendor. It's lexan, now.
Later,
Charlie