Input shaping

I didn't want to hijack Doug Cooper's thread and this topic deserves its own.

also feel inclined to mention something Peter Nachtwey posted a link >too :
These guys seem to have a "fancy" >feedfoward controller that is basically a convolution of the control >and the output.

NO, it is a convolution on the motion profile. The motion profile is convoluted with two pulses about 180 degree from each other. This cancels out the oscillations.

I have not had much time to read up on it... perhaps

Tim or Peter could give me a brief tutorial on what it is.

See the link below for an exmpale

From what I >have read, it does sound interesting though. Although I have some >doubts as to their claim of "input shaping does not effect the >stability of the closed loop system in any way"...

It doesn't

anytime you add >dynamics in the form of feedforward or feedback you are effecting the >stability of the closed loop.

Not in the case of feed fowards!

You may be making the CL MORE stable,

but your changing it none the less. The plant has its own eigenvlaues, >the control has its own eigenvalues and the closed loop is the >combination. If you has some more control in the form of feedforward, >you are again adding some eigenvalues (poles) which will effect the CL >system in some way. >

No! Feed forwards have nothing to do with the closed loop or the poles. Feed forwards just make it so the closed loop controller doesn't have to work as hard. Normally the feed forwards gains are just multiplies by the desired motion profile and the derivatives. One can also use feed forwards and the motion profile to exaggerate the target position. This is like putting a carrot on a stick and leading the donkey around by exaggerating the desired path. This compensates for the lags.

>James Forbes >

ftp://ftp.deltacompsys.com/public/NG/t1p1%20i-pv%20c1%20ol.pdf

Here is an example of input shaping that I did for JCH's example. It shows two moves, one to 7 meters and another to 17 meters. The two examples show the effect of the two pulses. The motion profile is just a simple. Crude is a better description.

position(time):=velocity*time

I didn't use any acceleration or deceleration. It is only the input shaping

No feed forwards are used. Only simple a PID is used to control the crane. It is what the two impulses do to the very simple motion profile that make the load swing into position without oscillating. The controller doesn't even follow the motion profile very well. There is a lot of lag.

I didn't show how I calculated the impulses. It isn't hard if you think about it.

Tim seems to be a skeptic but what are the alternatives? One could estimate the load state by using cameras or accelerometers. This would also require a controller that can handle higher derivative gains. The input shaping works with very little effort.

Peter Nachtwey

Reply to
pnachtwey