instrument tagging standards

Good afternoon group,
I have what some may view as a "dumb" question (although I have always thought that the only "dumb" question was the one that never got
asked). Is there a standard for the color of the instrument identification tag affixed to an instrument (in this case: atmospheric gas monitoring transmitters) ? In our case, we wish to monitor some of our process areas for the presence, and concentration levels of various gases, namely: chlorine, hydrogen sulfide, methane, sulfur dioxide, and oxygen. Is there a specific color code to be used (government, or industry based)? Any help you folks could lend in steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Art
kb3jlc wrote:

Consider this: You are traveling at speed along an interstate highway, having just passed a sign saying that the next exit is sixteen miles ahead. Your destination is known to all in the car to be some way down a two-lane macadam road. I submit that "Are we there yet?" is a dumb question.
Jerry

Not sure why you want to do this. Surely if the label says Hydrogen Sulphide, that would be enough (human shortcoming factors excepted of course).
There are codes for colour marking process lines that cover some common chemicals.
Cheers
kb3jlc wrote:

Each Industry I have been involved in seems to have invented its own colour scheme but always with a worded indication of the specifics of the contents of the process pipework. There is a document "ISO R508" which might help but how widespread the use is I do not know. The link here might also be of some help.
<http://www.chemicalprocessing.com/experts/answers/2006/061.html
Try also putting into Google's search string:-
Process Pipe "Color Coding"
and explore some of the links you get from that.
Paul E. Bennett...............<email://Paul snipped-for-privacy@topmail.co.uk>