Maxon EPOS Controller

Hi, I have been handed a Maxon epos 24/5 controller to work with. The spec say I nees a 12V DC power supply that can supply max 5A continous
current. i don't have such a supply. Whenever I connect the controller to a supply with lower current rating it loads the supply. My question is why is the controller drawing so much current even when the motor is not loaded? Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Thanks, Hari
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Starting current of the motor will be generally high. That may be the reason for loading the power supply.
regards, srinivas